Eb2 engine timing belt

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

I would hope my service would pick up a belt of that condition, as for citroen waiting until 60,000 i have my doubts that would last to that, breaking or placing debris in system.
My car has done 31,000 so will certainly check on a regular basis.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey

Aidy1971

Post by Aidy1971 »

Yep I would keep an eye on it , I was really shocked to find the belt looking like this after only 39k , it's just crazy. I can only imagine all the people out there driving around oblivious to the condition of their cars timing belt and the engine damage it will cause if it shreds or breaks , I really think citroen should do more to remedy this problem ....
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

They have in the sense that they replaced the original shredding belts with a new design, and reduced timing belt replacement to 62.5k Miles / 6 year(s), then every 125k Miles / 12 year(s). Having said that, there are also some vehicles with EB2 engines that are being flagged up with after sales campaigns with mileage less than 62.5k miles for the belt to be replaced.

So it's possible that from the number of DIDs (Dealer Incidents) that are being fed back from vehicles with belts in poor condition, that they are recalling vehicles with certain engines before the recommended change interval before it becomes a major fail.

I think the whole idea of a belt-in-oil system is a disaster and has been adopted to shave a little off emissions. With everything getting smaller, more compact and running faster, they say there's a 30% friction reduction with a BIO system and that it's quieter and takes less space. It's all to do with meeting bl**dy EU regulations. But of course the downsides are breakup of belt material over time, so stringent servicing and frequent oil changes are critical to avoid build up of debris.

It's the one thing that put me off a petrol version when I was looking for my Aircross, so quite happy with my Diesel with 'dry belt'.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

If that site is anything to go by (it's a bit 'all over the place) and based in the US.... so won't rely 100% on its accuracy, along with some contradictory information it would appear.

My vehicle is before the December 2019 manufacturing date according to that site, mine being built Nov. 2019 and it's a Euro 6.2, not a 6.D or 6.3 as specified by that article. Mine does have the 7mm chain though, but there are at least 3 variants of this engine, so may not be relevant to me.

Mine is due for its annual service this month so will see what they say when I mention it.

There's always some issue on any car, but at least I made an informed decision on mine and stuck to Diesels which is what I'm happy with.