C5 Aircross 2.0Hdi 180 4 wheel alignment

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
TimB

Post by TimB »

Hi all,
C5 Aircross 2.0 HDi auto 2020
I have just had my tracking done by Halfords as my steering wheel is misaligned and sits slightly left when the wheels are straight. Halfords tracked my front wheels but could not find an issue, they stated that rear wheel tracking is not available on the C5 Aircross. Is this correct? The steering wheel is still off centre.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Very few cars have adjustable rear suspension.
TimB

Post by TimB »

Hi, thanks for your reply. Could I ask then what is the point of the Hawkeye 4 wheel tracking offered by Kwik Fit which they say is suitable for all modern cars. I am considering having this done but if it isn't going to be effective and the rear wheels can't be tracked I don't see the point.
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

None of my local garages will carry out wheel alignment on my aircross due to the ADAS system needs to be recalibrated afterwards. I had to travel to my nearest Citroen garage who did 4 wheel alignment and reset everything
2019 C5 Aircross 2.0 Diesel Flair Plus
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

robkenyon wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:49 am None of my local garages will carry out wheel alignment on my aircross due to the ADAS system needs to be recalibrated afterwards. I had to travel to my nearest Citroen garage who did 4 wheel alignment and reset everything
Does the ADAS system really need recalibrating. A quick search shows that a calibration is adjustment of cameras, no mention of suspension. And I'm still not sure that the rear suspension is adjustable. They may be able to measure the settings butvery little is actually adjustable without changing components, obviously apart from front tracking.
Are you sure that 'they' did it? They may have just taken it to Kwik Fit and charged you extra.
I took my daughter's car to a main dealer to have a suspension arm changed. On the way home the car handled terribly, and when I looked the front alignment was visibly out. Complained the next day, and they told me they didn't have any tracking equipmenyt and did it by eye. Took it to a tyre speciallist who found the front to be 4, yes 4, degrees out. I did get the cost refunded.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

That depends entirely on the type of equipment we are talking about.

For example if you have ARTIV Active Cruise / Distance Maintaining Cruise Control with RADAR in the front then any slight knock to the bumper can require a recalibration of the system as these have to be spot on to work.

However if camera-only system (there are 2 types) then it may not be necessary as any alignment should be corrected (where needed) to within factory tolerances as they were at the factory.

A replacement windscreen may also need the camera recalibrated as depending on model and options, this is used for LDWS and for distance maintaining.
The same goes for Active Safety Brake - these can be camera-only controlled or use the ARTIV unit, depending on options.
TimB

Post by TimB »

robkenyon wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:49 am None of my local garages will carry out wheel alignment on my aircross due to the ADAS system needs to be recalibrated afterwards. I had to travel to my nearest Citroen garage who did 4 wheel alignment and reset everything
Thanks for your reply Rob. Did you find that the alignment carried out by Citroen solved any issues you were having? I didn't know Citroen would have the capability to track all 4 wheels at once. Kwik Fit have quoted £130 for 4 wheel laser tracking using Hawkeye. They didn't mention recalibration for the ADAS
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

TimB wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:36 pm
Thanks for your reply Rob. Did you find that the alignment carried out by Citroen solved any issues you were having? I didn't know Citroen would have the capability to track all 4 wheels at once. Kwik Fit have quoted £130 for 4 wheel laser tracking using Hawkeye. They didn't mention recalibration for the ADAS
Yes it solved all the issues I was having. The Citroen place I went to did it all, and provided me with the paperwork afterwards. I had to go to a specific Citroen garage, as my two closest ones didn’t do it so had to travel a bit further. I waited while they did it and took an hour or so, I think it cost about £100 but that was about 2 years ago now. Strangely enough the alignment is now slightly out again after hitting a large pot hole the other day but my local Citroen are just doing a basic alignment this time! My has ADAS, autonomous driving / steering / braking adaptive cruise control etc so rather have it done by Citroen properly than Kwik Fit!
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

routemaster1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:41 am
Does the ADAS system really need recalibrating. A quick search shows that a calibration is adjustment of cameras, no mention of suspension. And I'm still not sure that the rear suspension is adjustable. They may be able to measure the settings butvery little is actually adjustable without changing components, obviously apart from front tracking.
Are you sure that 'they' did it? They may have just taken it to Kwik Fit and charged you extra.
I took my daughter's car to a main dealer to have a suspension arm changed. On the way home the car handled terribly, and when I looked the front alignment was visibly out. Complained the next day, and they told me they didn't have any tracking equipmenyt and did it by eye. Took it to a tyre speciallist who found the front to be 4, yes 4, degrees out. I did get the cost refunded.
Yes they did it, four wheel laser alignment, I waited while they did it at the garage and they provided all the paperwork after with all the alignment numbers before and after
TimB

Post by TimB »

robkenyon wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:07 pm
TimB wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:36 pm
Yes it solved all the issues I was having. The Citroen place I went to did it all, and provided me with the paperwork afterwards. I had to go to a specific Citroen garage, as my two closest ones didn’t do it so had to travel a bit further. I waited while they did it and took an hour or so, I think it cost about £100 but that was about 2 years ago now. Strangely enough the alignment is now slightly out again after hitting a large pot hole the other day but my local Citroen are just doing a basic alignment this time! My has ADAS, autonomous driving / steering / braking adaptive cruise control etc so rather have it done by Citroen properly than Kwik Fit!
Thanks Rob, I'll give Citroen a call tomorrow, my nearest is about 10 miles away so hopefully they can do the job