First New Citroën Since 2001!

New to the Citroen Aircross Forums? Introduce yourself here
AirFairlyCross

Post by AirFairlyCross »

Evening all- this is my 31st year driving Citroëns & I've recently acquired only my second new one since 1994, a C5 Aircross 1.5 Shi*e Plus EAT8.
First impressions were 100% favourable, but it's one of those cars that becomes increasingly difficult to live with on longer acquaintance, sadly.
Dreadful fuel consumption, a rattly engine, & the most ludicrous minor controls & touchscreen, ever, all conspire to spoil a really comfortable & otherwise competent car.
I feel really bad for shouting & yelling at its awful satnav, inaudible stereo, & horrible reverse camera, constantly. Am I wrong?
My '01 1.8 petrol Picasso was an outright hit- simple, totally competent & much-missed, as were a string of BXs & a 2.5 XM, 2 C5 estates, and so on.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, too!
Cheers.

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

When I first used the later touchscreen system, I hated it with a vengeance, but like most things, when you have no choice but to use it, you get used to it.

Learn the shortcuts for quickly accessing functions (holding 3 fingers on the touchscreen for example) can make things easier. Using Apple CarPlay too means less using the touchscreen if you use your own navigation app and want to play music from your iPhone (or Android Auto of course).

Set the climate up on auto for required temp and forget it.

The EAT gearboxes are supposed to be far more efficient, but the ones I have used (EAT6 & EAT8) on petrols did seem to drink fuel like it was 'last orders' in the pub. These boxes are made my Aisin Warner and are used in most modern vehicles across many manufacturers, although they change the names about for marketing.

Sadly I think there's little choice left now as we're gradually being forced into self-immolating Duracells on wheels.

With the audio, make sure you have set the equaliser settings up correctly for EACH sound source as the radio and USB sound settings for example are memorised separately. Also switching on the LOUD function can make a difference.

As for the sat nav, I now use Sygic App via Apple CarPlay as recommended by a member here. It is free, but has all the live services and oodles of features on the premium version for only about £13 a year.

So I've really little use for the Touchscreen now except for any configuration of features or for auto parking when I'm feeling lazy or have a neck pain.
chapi72

Post by chapi72 »

Hi,
I came to my C5 aircross after a couple of C4 Grand Picasso's. I had said I would never have another Citroen after a very bad experience with a Xantia years and years ago.
Picassos were great for the family but I no longer need that style of car so switched to the C5 Aircross. For me, I was already used to the touch screen in the C4 so the change was easy.
I would have preferred the newer unit in the next generation C5 Aircross where you don't have to press multiple times for the Aircon, but like Juan says, I set it to my requirements and pretty much leave it.
Even though I still have 18 months on the TomTom subscription, I use Android Auto and the Waze app, so have little need for the Citroen functions.
For me the main thing is comfort, the drivers seat suits my bad hip and is great on a long journey.
The EAT8 is really smooth and yet the 1.6 petrol uses more fuel than my C4 diesel, but at 10p difference per litre, I'm not noticing it too much.
----
Current : MY20 C5 Aircross Flair Plus, Black
Cancelled : MY22 C5 Aircross, Hybrid, Eclipse Blue, City Park, Dark Chrome Pack :cry:
Previous: MY16 C4 Grand Picasso Feel
Previous: MY14 C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive +
JohnnyCarbon

Post by JohnnyCarbon »

Hi,

I've had a few Citroens myself over the years, with other cars in-between - I started with a Citroen BX in the early 1990s and loved that car! I then had a break for a few years and then I got a Citroen C1 when they first came out. Later I got a C3 Picasso, and then replaced that with another C3 Picasso. Then I got a C4 Picasso automatic for towing a caravan which it did great, and I also got a C4 Cactus. Then I went electric with the E-C4 and swapped my C4 Picasso for a C3 Aircross as I had to sell my caravan due to work commitments. I've just got rid of the electric car and went for the C5 Aircross C-Series PHEV. I loved the electric car, beautiful to drive but realised I got into the electric game too early - you need a very high range really to have an electric car and the e-C4 started with 220 range but ended up with around 180 miles but with a heater on in the winter that soon goes down to nothing. You need a car with 300+ range I think. So I've replaced that with the C5 Aircross PHEV which I've had only for a few days so can't comment on it yet – except to say that the C Series comfort and mod cons is outstanding (it matches the electric car). Hopefully the C5 Aircross won't disappoint. So as I now have a C3 Aircross and a C5 Aircross this is the forum for me!

Question: I've updated the map to 15.0.0.0 or something like that … but it still seems out of date (my house is not on it and my house is about 7 years old now) - how often do new maps come out, and when should the next version be available, does anyone know?
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Whenever they decide to release them - there is no set date.

You may get one a year if you are lucky.