Red engine warning! Belt destruction common fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
MJJ

Post by MJJ »

Hi there
Bought our 2020 c3 aircross last Jan. Been fine but yesterday got the red engine oil fault had pullover...luckily near a dealers got AA out after they told me it's serious fault.
First thing I noticed was they already knew I had 1.2 engine before I even told them my reg...they even acknowledged it's a common fault and lots being reported! So why is this first I'm hearing about it is first question?
Should I have been told this when buying a. Approved used model last Jan 2023? Did a UK recall ever actually go out via dealers?
My 1 year warranty apparently has just expired even though we asked and agreed 2 yr warranty...I'm struggling to find evidence... However they've reassured me if it's the common belt fault Citroen customer care can cover costs if cars got FSH etc.
I assume others had this? Any tips or advice I'm scared they Gona try pin bill on me... Not happy.
Take car in next week for proper diagnosis...red engine lights off for now and not driving it.
Last edited by MJJ on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It will likely be the timing belt that has started to degrade, leading to oil starvation. It is a know n issue and the belt should be inspected at each service for signs of deterioration. It's first change is at about 62k miles to be replaced with a later belt, hence why the annual servicing is essential and also the correct grade and specification of oil used in the service (it has a belt in oil system).

Citroen should bear most of the cost as long as the vehicle has been serviced according to schedules and servicing specifications.
MJJ

Post by MJJ »

Thanks!
MJJ

Post by MJJ »

Ours is only on 44k ! I think we should have been made aware of existing known faults last Jan when we purchased warranties! Has there never been actual recalls in UK on this model engine?
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No, not an actual recall as in a safety recall and neither an after-sales campaign. They expect to catch and replace the timing belt before the damage occurs, but this hasn't happened in your case evidently, which can happen but more so if not dealer-maintained and the incorrect grade and spec. oil has been used, causing the belt to disintegrate more quickly.

I can tell you that Ford have had major issues with their wet timing belts used on the eco boost engines which have a similar system. They were dropping like flies in the USA and as far as I'm aware have only just issued a recall for these models. It's a shame Stellantis are dragging their feet on this and on the 1.5 Diesel Camshaft chain issue......

Here's a description of the Ford issue, although similar, the Ford problems has an additional tensioning problem.

MJJ

Post by MJJ »

I heard from AA man about the ford issue...but for me I do not expect to pay a penny for a fault they all knew about! ...was given no post sales advice about engine oil issue either ..seems unbelievable if it's so sensitive to that that they don't specify at every main dealer!
MJJ

Post by MJJ »

Hi there as I understand it Citroen customer care cover costs if fsh etc is in order as it's their recognised fault. However ..one thing is it only on models between certain years with that 1.2 wetbelt? I think 2020 models fall within that period but does anyone know details
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No.

ALL models with the EB2 engines suffer the same issues - it's the same wet belt system on the same 3 cylinder engine.

As with any manufacturer contribution, it depends entirely on each individual case. Vehicle mileage, age, service history etc., as to what contribution they may make.
MJJ

Post by MJJ »

Confirmed big job to fix timing belt as expected, just awaiting confirmation that customer care will cover in full. I've also confirmed I had extended warranty anyway so it's covered.
But delays and awaiting ordering parts, it's going to take weeks.
Should we be entitled to a courtesy car as none of this is our fault? The known fault, the delays in parts., we have only had the car a year.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

You can try, but their only obligation is to repair the fault, so may depend on availability of any courtesy cars and goodwill.