Rainex?

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
BarrowBob

Post by BarrowBob »

I have used Rainex on all of my vehicle glass for years. The C5 Aircross handbook specifically says not to use it, or similar glass treatments. Does Citroën put something on the windscreen, if so, it's nowhere near as effective as Rainex? So the question is, do I apply it to the windscreen??

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Hi, it's generally because it can make the wipers when set to the AUTO setting go mad. It's because of the 'spreading' effect that the water repellent has as it runs away and this can make the auto detection of water intensity inaccurate, resulting in generally fast operation all the time.

It's up to you though. I've never had an issue in days past with my other PSA vehicles with Auto wipers.

Having said that, I can't say if this will have any adverse effect on the camera, which is used for speed sign recognition, lane departure warning detection and other features like active safety brake. So if you are going to go ahead anyway, I would suggest you avoid the area of the windscreen by the camera for sure, as when the water spreads over the area, it may affect the optics of the camera and lead to unwanted results or degraded performance.

I know it's the same for other manufacturers including Tesla that specify not to use water dispersant treatments on the windscreen.
BarrowBob

Post by BarrowBob »

Thanks Juan, I hadn't considered the auto wipe, although I've never been a big fan of it. I'll certainly avoid the areas around the cameras.
Thank you.