C3 Aircross - Shine 1.5D - Random Bleeping

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
stockman

Post by stockman »

Hello - I'm a Newbie on here.
I've recently bought a C3 Aircross 1.5d. (29 August 2023)
The car had done 4990 miles when I purchased it.
It's an ex motobility car.
The car has now done 8400 miles (29 December 2023).
The car makes random bleeping noises.
6 weeks ago the orange dpf filer warning light appeared momentarily on the dash with a bleep.
I booked into Citroen manchester and 6 weeks later (29th December 2023) the fault can't be found.
It maybe coincidence the dpf light and the bleeping - but has anyone else experienced the random bleeping?
I'm currently driving in 4th gear on the motorway (upto 70mph)
Any views would be welcomed.
Happy New Year

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

What DPF light are you on about? There isn't a warning lamp for the DPF and the 1.5 diesels don't have an additive tank for the Eolys additive fluid, it doesn't use assisted regeneration, so has no additive tank.

Are you getting the this confused with the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system and the Adblue tank? If the Adblue needs topping up it will tell you this and a countdown will start every time you start the vehicle.

Try to record the exact warning message or post a photo of the lamp and warning when you can.
stockman

Post by stockman »

Image[/img]Hi Juan,
The Paricule Filter cameImage on momentarily.

20240101_103657.jpg

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Ahh apologies, that one - it means there's a risk of the particle filter blocking.

This happens mostly because of short stop and start journeys, so the engine temperature never has a chance to get to the required temperature to regenerate the particle filter.

You need to go for a reasonable drive, get the temperature up and keep in 5th gear instead of 6th on a manual, and the speed at least 40 MPH or more if possible for a good 30 minutes or so.

If you don't, the filter will become so saturated with soot that it won't be able to regenerate any more (anything from 70% blocked and above) and will need removing for cleaning.

So avoid small local trips of a few miles - or you will end up with problems. Make sure it gets a good run a few times a month to stop that warning. Modern Diesels are cruisers and not really intended to nip out for very short journeys as the engine exhaust gas temperature will never get to the 550 degrees needed for passive regeneration of the filter to occur.
stockman

Post by stockman »

Hi Juan,
Thanks for your advice.
I've had the car 4 months and nearly doubled the cars mileage.

It's possibly why the warning light came on because of small journeys done by the previous owner...who knows?

The random bleeping is another problem...is that related to the particulate filter or not?

I've thurned off the speed alert warning this morning.

The random bleeping was happening before the particulate filter warning light came on.

It's all a bit bonkers reallly, especially as the garage can't identify any problem either?

Thank. Paul
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Check your Lane Departure Warning System. This is turned on by default and beeps in 2 successive sequences each time you cross a white road line. It can be annoying, but means you have to hold the button in until the orange lane departure warning is permanently on in the instrument panel in order to disable it.

This is the only thing I can think of off hand that beeps like this. The button is on the right side of the dash panel here:

ldws button.PNG

If it's anything else, you should be getting a message on the instrument panel

If you have a permanent warning light on the dash, that can also beep, but check the above first to eliminate this. Note it has to be done each time the vehicle is started as the default is enabled each time.
stockman

Post by stockman »

Hi Juan,

I've turned that button off previously.

When turned off it then alluminates on the dash doesn't it?

Though it was easier to just see the lane depature momentariy and the bleeps (what a waste this warning is)

Again thanks

Do you work for Citroen - You seem well i formed?

Paul
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No problem - has that sorted the beeps? It's really only useful on the motorway or dual carriageway on longer journeys IMO as it can give you a nudge to take a break.

I have 40 years of Citroen ownership behind me and write for several Forums.
stockman

Post by stockman »

Ii'll try it tomorrow.
Not used the car for a few days.
Don't think that's the random beeping though?
I've had Citroens since 1981.
Still got a 2cv i bought new in 1990 - only 32k miles
Plus a Dyane 6. 1982 - 22k miles. They're so simple.
Unlike all this electronic clap trap.
Thanks for your quick response Juan.
Much appreciated.
Paul
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No problem, if possible, have the car running / idling and have your camera at the ready to snap the dashboard if it beeps again in case there's a brief message before it disappears.

But if there's no message, and it's not the Lane Departure beeping (which it won't be if idling), then it needs a dealer-level diagnostic. But if it is the particle filter moaning and you've taken it for a good spin, it maybe that it's not long enough for the filter to have regenerated. A good burn up on the motorway or dual carriageway at legal velocities may be the way to get it hot enough to regenerate the filter.