Newly acquired C5 AC - looking for map update help please

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

John King wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:34 pm thanks for the response Juan.. i downloaded the 3 files you provided but when i try to drag any of them across to a 64gb i get an error message saying that file name is invalid or too long..

vin no is: VR7ACYHZJKL060840 ........According to the citroen app there are 2 updates available firmware 42.03.33.42 nac r0 and map......

kind regards
JOHN
John - you don't drag the downloaded files onto the USB. This is where you are going wrong.

1) The Firmware and map files are compressed files.
2) You must first download the files to your PC
3) Install and use a utility like 7Zip (freeware) to open up the compressed file (do the firmware file first) and use the utility to extract the compressed files onto the FAT32 Formatted USB.
4) That will create the folders required and decompress the files ready.
5) Your vehicle has WiFi, so you don't need a licence file. The upgrade of the firmware will be authorised 'over the air', so make sure you have started the vehicle first and left it for a minute to allow the modules to load, before inserting the USB into the port.
6) The Head Unit will start looking for media files and will give you a message saying it cannot find any media. Just ok or cancel that, then the system will re-read trhe drive and detect the upgrade files and ask if you want to install it.

After you have successfully upgraded the firmware, reformat the USB drive and repeat the same procedure with the Map file.

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Tommo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:19 pm Hi Juan, just been reading the reviews for Sygic and they are not so good, but i am gong to download it onto my Samsung android phone and give it a go. My Tom Tom free does't run out until 2025, so will try this before i decide wether to renew or not. Have a look at the reviews and tell me what you think of them i know your more than happy with it but was just surprised to read them.

Eric.
So I've been using it for a little while now and have managed to set it up pretty much as I would want it. But as ever, a hugely annoying thing has just cropped up that I noticed whilst using the other day, namely that there is no pinch zoom or finger scrolling of the map on the vehicle touchscreen when using using Sygic via CarPlay.

Now I haven't had a lot of time lately to investigate with everything else going on, but I suspect this is not unique to the Sygic app. Bloody daft to be honest as I think it only allows scrolling or zooming with the vehicle at stand still. I found this out as I needed to get some perspective around me on a journey a bit quick and of course the screen was unresponsive.

I don't believe this happens on Android versions, and is a stupid limitation of the Apple Nanny State Corporation :roll: I think this is a deliberate block by Apple, despite all vehicles having factory fitted Sat Navs already having this feature! You couldn't make it up.

I have sent off my 'bug' report / 'feature' request to Apple about this as it's pretty much cripples the system if you really need to see where the hell you are at a given moment.
srperry

Post by srperry »

Tommo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:19 pm Hi Juan, just been reading the reviews for Sygic and they are not so good, but i am gong to download it onto my Samsung android phone and give it a go. My Tom Tom free does't run out until 2025, so will try this before i decide wether to renew or not. Have a look at the reviews and tell me what you think of them i know your more than happy with it but was just surprised to read them.

Eric.
Hi Eric,

I, and other members of my family, have been using Sygic for years, with no issues. I'm not sure what reviews you are reading but the reviews on Google Play are very favourable.

Sygic uses mapping provided by TomTom and OpenStreets. The lane control provision is brilliant, as are the spoken instructions. The Speed Camera option is very good too, as is the hazard warning for example, warning you of a sharp curve, etc.

I have a current subscrption to the TomTom service via Citroen, but often use the Sygic program in preference.

For the record, I have no connection with Sygic other than being a very happy long-term user.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
John King

Post by John King »

Hi Juan your efforts are greatly appreciated... i have downloaded 7zip and this worked and i now have three folders, i have put the first firmware folder onto a 64gb fat 32 formatted which i had to download a tool to convert as windows only offers up ntfs or ex-fat.. i will attempt both firmware updates separately and in order and will format each time, then map updates last..wish me luck...once again i appreciate your efforts to explain to a novice..
cheers
john
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No problems, best of luck.
John King

Post by John King »

Job done....... 2 firmware updates and map updates done....greatly appreciated... just wanted to say that i bought a pack of 3 sandisk 32gig usb 2 fat 32 already formatted (asda) for £18... these worked a treat...make sure you have the 2 folders (unzipped using 7zip) showing on the stick and not 1 folder with the 2 files in as it won't recognise........my c5 Aircross 69 plate was on software from 2018....

cheers to Juan for your efforts
regards
John
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Thanks for the update John.
KyleH

Post by KyleH »

Hi Juan,

Again, sorry for butting in, but you seem to be some jedi guru master on these issues.

So my issue is that I get the error message on the Windows software stating

"An error occurred while retrieving update data.

Please check your connection settings."

When I go to download the operating system update. The Maps update has downloaded without a hitch so far. Is there a fix for this?

My car is a 73 C5 Aircross and the update is 44.07.05.22_NAC-r0.

Thanks in advance.
Kyle
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Just provide your VIN (or send it in a private message) and I'll provide the direct links for you.
Gall29

Post by Gall29 »

How do you download the maps or check if its up to date I have the 2023 C5