Intermittent Oil Pressure Light

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
abt

Post by abt »

I have a 2021 70 plate C3 Aircross, 1.2 Puretech Petrol, 110 Flair. Last night when starting the engine, the red oil pressure light and the orange spanner light stayed on. I switched off the ignition and restarted the car and everything was normal. This morning, when I unlocked the car the red oil pressure light was lit before I had even turned the ignition on or started the engine. I started the engine and the red oil pressure light and the orange spanner light stayed on. I again switched of the ignition, restarted the car and everything was normal. I have checked the oil level, and it does need topped up slightly.

Should I be concerned that the problem is more than needing the oil topped up? The car has done 23,000 miles and is due the second service in the next 950 miles according to the service indicator. I am about to contact my local Citroen dealership, but they don't usually fill me with much hope.

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Yes you should be concerned. The engine has a cambelt which runs in oil, and the belt can start to disintegrate. When this happens the bits of rubber block the oilways starving the engine and turbo of oil. It can also block oilways to the brake vacuum pump (turbo engines only) leading to potential brake failure. I would suggest you do not start the engine again until you have consulted an agent, and I would suggest that that you should try to get the car transporte to the agent to prevent any further damage. I hope you have a warranty!
abt

Post by abt »

I have phoned and spoken to my local Citroen dealership. They have said that as the light goes off when I restart the engine that it's fine! They advised topping up the oil as I told them it was below 'Max' on the dipstick. I have booked it in for a service with them, but the soonest they can fit it in is 24th October. They said they can't put the car on the diagnostic machine if the error light has gone off, and just to 'see how it goes', but topping up the oil will probably help.

The car still has the manufacturer's warranty until February 2024 when it will be three years old. It's my only transport which I use daily, and I live on my own so don't have access to another car.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Sound like it should be OK. Two other points. 1. When you start the car, does it give the 'oil level correct' message? 2. The oil pick-up on these engines is towards the front of the car. If you park facing up a slope, the oil may not reach the pick-up in the sump. This will cause the low oil pressure light and spanner to come on, and once on they remain lit until you stop the engine, allow it to power down and restart the engine. I've had this happen on our C3 and in our now departed C4 Picasso. It doesn't need to be particularly steep, and it will happen on my drive if I park the other way to normal.
abt

Post by abt »

It gave the 'oil level correct' message on the dashboard up until this issue happened last night. Now the message of oil level correct or incorrect doesn't appear. If I top the oil up with 0w30 is there a specific one to buy? Different ones seem to be for different 'fitments' (whatever that may be)? When I spoke to the service department at the Citroen Dealership, they said it could just be because it's due a service, or it could just be because it needs the oil topped up a little. My local Citroen dealership have always been a bit too laid back and flippant (I've had Citroen's fora lot of years, although not bought any of them new, so not bought from the Dealership). This is the first one I have owned that was young enough to still have the manufacturer's warranty. It's also the one which I have spent the most money buying! And worrying excessively is unfortunately what I do! I'm not an 'ignorance is bliss' sort of person - I sometimes wish I was!
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

I would be more concerned about the condition of the timing belt.

Undo the oil cap and inspect the condition of the belt - especially at the edges. Are there signs of wear or abrasion? If so, you may already have the beginnings of blockage and this can lead to catastrophic engine failure if the build up continues. Keep sufficient oil OF THE CORRECT SPECIFICATION and limit use until it can be booked in - arrange for a courtesy car in advance. If the lights continue to come on, I would advise against further use until it has been checked - especially the oil strainer and timing belt. Citroen are aware of this and are supposed to check the belt at each service on these models routinely.
abt

Post by abt »

I've topped up the oil with 0w30. The dipstick was showing just above the minimum. I've put half a litre in and it's now showing above halfway between maximum and minimum. I believe I need to wait 30 minutes before it will register when I start the ignition?

If I take the oil cap off, what am I looking for regarding the belt? Will it be visible or will it be covered in oil? Could the oil pressure light have started coming on as the dipstick was just above the minimum level? If I started the engine and the light came on, then stopped it, when I restarted the engine the light went off as normal.

As a side note, the coolant level needs slightly topped up, although I'm presuming this has nothing to do with the oil pressure light as the oil on the dipstick looks like clean oil and isn't milky in any way.

Really hope it was just a case of needing the oil topped up, as it's my only transport, I live alone and don't have family.
Last edited by abt on Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abt

Post by abt »

This is what it looks like with the oil cap removed:

Document 1.jpg

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

From the images, it looks to be ok, but I obviously can't see very well from an image but hopefully that will be confirmed when booked in.

One other possibility for excessive oil consumption is that the engine oil vapour breather pipe could be blocked.

Assuming there are no leaks that the mechanics would look for, then they would use the following check:

Check 1
From the information recorded, calculate the oil consumption per 1000 km:

If the vehicle has consumed more than 0,50 litre per 1000 km: Carry out in-depth fault finding.
If the vehicle has consumed between 0,20 litre and 0,50 litre per 1000 km: Carry out check 2
If the vehicle has consumed less than 0,20 litre per 1000 km: Do not carry out any repair: The vehicle conforms. Return the vehicle to the customer

Check 2:

Remove the oil vapour separator.

eb2 oil.PNG

Check the condition of the engine oil vapour breather pipe(at "a"):
If the pipe is blocked: Carry out repair
If the pipe is not blocked: Do not apply this document.

Repair
Unblock the engine oil vapour breather pipe or repair the seal between the 2 lower and upper cylinder head covers.
abt

Post by abt »

Thanks for all of the information. I have done almost 12,000 miles (19,000 km approx.) since the last service and this is the first time I've topped up the oil. I've put in around half a litre which has taken the dipstick from just above minimum to half way between maximum and minimum. The service is booked in for 24th October at the Citroen dealership. Hopefully all will be ok until then! The oil I have used is 0w30 for engine code EB2DT or EB2DTM. I've now found out that my engine code by the VIN seems to be EB2ADT - will this matter at all?

Thanks again for all of the advice from everyone. Really appreciate it.