Carbon deposits broken engine

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
bogedofnorth

Post by bogedofnorth »

Just been informed that my c5 aircross 2019 1.2 pure tech needs a new engine due to carbon deposits and build up in the oil pump and oil filter which has seriously damaged the engine anyone had similar issues ?
Car just out of warranty this year car has full service history and only 26thousand miles on it , garage where it’s at are contacting Citroen to see if they’ll help with cost does anyone have any experience of Citroen helping them out with it being a newish car

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Yes, it's a well-known issue. with wet timing belts systems on these 1.2 Puretech engines. Timing belt is checked at dealer servicing and replaced earlier that normal at about 64k miles, where it then goes back to standard timing belt service.

The issue is that the original timing belts can shred - (and this is why the exact correct engine oil specification must be used) and the debris builds up and starts to clog the filter. As more and more of the belt material comes away it ultimately blocks the filter and causes oil starvation - or finer material can get into the engine lubrication channels / turbo etc. Worst case scenario is if this happens when the vehicle is at speed and you get an oil warning lamp - but by then it may be too late and might need a new engine.

Citroen are aware of this issue and should provide some extended warranty as far as I'm aware - but of course will very much depend on individual circumstances like has the servicing been done on schedule and importantly to the manufacturer's requirements - so we're not just talking an oil change here of course. There will be other operations and checks made at the dealership services for just this sort of thing, so that they may be able to determine if preventative work needs doing earlier.

If you have evidence that the vehicle has been correctly maintained and to schedule, this will go a long way in your favour.
bogedofnorth

Post by bogedofnorth »

Place I bought it where a Citroen dealership but has since lost the dealership but kept getting service done at original place the dealership I have it now have basically told me it does need a new engine that’s why there trying this with Citroen hope they come through , do you know how much a new engine would cost if they don’t , hadn’t got this years service done before it broke got no warning lights either till after it broke
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Anywhere from £7-9k inc. VAT depending on which version of the engine you have. These prices are inclusive of VAT but not labour....
Jasper63

Post by Jasper63 »

Hi go on ebay you will find a nearly new one low miles for about 1000 to 1500 plus fitting
Andreajr

Post by Andreajr »

Hi Bogedofnorth just wondering how you got on with the engine. Husband has just found out his might need a new one!!!!
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Brand new engines for the following 2 variants are each £7k inc VAT, ex Labour to give you a idea:

1.2 i THP 110 (EB2ADT Euro 6.2) engine is just under £7k inc. VAT Ex Labour.
1.2 PureTech 131 (EB2ADTS Euro 6.3)