1.5 BlueHDi engine timing chain information.

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Information found on Citroën C5 Aircross group on Facebook. I hope it is OK to post this.

Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Opel. 1.5 (DV5) Diesel Breakdown Problems

Amidst the roar of revving engines, the PSA group’s diminutive powerhouses stand tall, with not a drop of varnish to tarnish their shine. However, even the mighty 1.5 BlueHDi (DV5) engine, which made its debut in the second-generation Peugeot 308 II back in 2017, has been subject to scrutiny due to its injection shock and finicky AdBlue tank. But now, an internal technical note has been sent out to dealerships across a variety of brands, highlighting a new problem with Euro 6.3 (or Euro 6.D) blocks manufactured after December 31, 2019.

Causes and effects
The issue lies with the camshaft drive chain, which gradually opens and eventually snaps, causing catastrophic damage to the engine. Owners of the affected vehicles have noticed two tell-tale signs of trouble: first, the timing belt begins to make an unsettling noise, caused by slack in the camshaft drive chain. Second, the engine refuses to start at all, due to the chain’s failure, which leads to the 1.5 BlueHDi’s downfall. It’s a delicate dance, with the chain connecting the two camshafts initially controlled by a delicate balance of resistance. The once-mighty 1.5 diesel engine, a proud piece of machinery, was starting to crumble. Its camshaft housing was withering away, like a victim of a corrosive chemical attack. The engine needed a change, and fast. Luckily, the PSA group came to the rescue, bringing with it technical upgrades that promised to breathe new life into the engine. The upgrades included a beefier 8 mm chain assembly and “new generation” exhaust valves that would help the engine run smoother and faster. But how could one tell if the engine had undergone this transformation? Well, the answer lay in the etched reference on the camshaft housing. If the number was 98 305 804 80, the engine had been upgraded with the latest improvements. But if the reference number was 98 126 472 80 and the housing was flat, the engine still had the old, weaker 7 mm chain. So the next time you see a 1.5 diesel engine, take a closer look at its camshaft housing – it might just reveal its true strength.

camcarrier.jpg

C5 Aircross Flair 1.5 130 Blue HDi EAT8 Pearl White.

icandrive

Post by icandrive »

Hi all. I’m new to your group so thanks for letting me join you all.
My issue is with the 1.5 blue hdi engine. I actually have a 2019 C4 cactus with 76,000 miles on and came across the post so thought I’d join in.
Last Friday my car broke down in a spectacular fashion. Apparently timing failure. I was told unofficially today (Citroen garage confirming tomorrow ) it’s the chain that links the camshafts.
The main question I have is what is the most likely outcome? New engine, engine repair or write the car off?
I’m a driving instructor so need to be back in the roads asap.
TIA.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

This will really depend as PSA have known about the issue for some time. Whether they will provide any goodwill towards repair / replacement it is hard to say, but will depend on service history for sure. The technical bulletins for this issue pre-suppose an issue like a rattling or noise indicative of the chain starting to loosen before it inevitably comes apart. If the customer has not noticed this or it has not been picked up at servicing, before a catastrophic event, then it's most likely an engine replacement.

If they had picked up the noise, then there is pre-emptive action they can take like the replacement of the chain and associated parts.

I have this engine and my build date falls within the affected build dates. I have recently had mine serviced at Citroen and mentioned this (for which I was already aware of this issue months ago), but until something actually happens (like the noise) there is nothing they can do at this stage. So from my own point of view, I have email evidence of the conversation with the Citroen Service Manager, the Technical Service Bulletins that I pointed them too and a press article. So if anything happens in the future I have at least evidence of the potential problems (and I have extended warranty at present that I will maintain).
Last edited by Juan Sheet on Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Is there anyway of finding out when PSA changed to the uprated chains and associated fittings. Would it possible to find out from the engine serial number or car VIN maybe?
C5 Aircross Flair 1.5 130 Blue HDi EAT8 Pearl White.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Yes I can tell you that from the VIN - send it to me via a PM
martyness

Post by martyness »

I have a 1.5 blue hdi engine but I'm assuming because the car was registered in November 2019 it falls before this? (Guessing slightly different engine standard?)

Can't find any information besides what's been mention on here and the Facebook page.
C5 aircross flair plus platinum grey metallic with red inserts
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Again, if you send me your VIN via PM I can advise of build date etc.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Hi Martin.

Ok so from your VIN:
Your build date is 15674.
You have a Euro 6.2 engine.

So there are 2 Technical Bulletins.

(1) The first refers to 'Knocking Noise in the Upper Area of the Cylinder Head on the Timing Belt Side', the origin of which is play in the camshaft drive chain.

Affected vehicles are stated as: C5 AIRCROSS (C84) AND EURO 6.3 ENGINE EMISSION CONTROL AND DV TYPE ENGINE UNTIL RPO 16793.

So although your build date of 15674 falls into this category, you don't have a Euro 6.3 engine, so should not be affected.

(2) The second refers to The engine will not start - disruption to or offsetting of the camshaft drive chain setting - the engine starts but is not functioning correctly - presence if noise around the camshaft drive chain setting - air or combustion counter-pressure noise in the air inlet manifold." The origin of which is the camshaft drive chain is broken.

Affected vehicles are stated as: C5 AIRCROSS (C84) AND EURO 6.3 ENGINE EMISSION CONTROL AND DV TYPE ENGINE SINCE RPO 15758 UNTIL RPO 16793.

So again, you don't have a Euro 6.3 engine and your build date doesn't fall into this range.

I hope that provides some comfort. :D
martyness

Post by martyness »

Thank you for the information 😊

I did think that mine was a euro 6.2 engine as I remember something about the 2020 - onwards engines being different (think it was to do with emissions standards)
C5 aircross flair plus platinum grey metallic with red inserts
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It is a bit confusing - and they do keep changing the technical bulletins recently regarding this. Mine is a Euro 6.2 engine and yet my vehicle is affected - but I can't do anything yet until it starts clanking!