worn out tyres ,too soon

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
timospap

Post by timospap »

good morning to all of you from Greece

I am an owner of a Citroen c3 aircross ,model 2021 ,1,2petrol 130hp
the tyres that my car has on it are the Bridgestones weather control (215/77/r17) and up until know they have covered approx 32000 km (usually I change tyres around in 38000?)
the thing is that this time the 2 front tyres are significantly worn out at the outer side ,both of them-its something that never happened before to any of the cars that I owned in the past.
during my last official service I had my car inspected and calibrated ( I don't know the English term for the allignment of the system) because since I ve bought it (new) I noticed that the car has a tendency to slips to the right (slightly) so they told me from the shop that they did it ,but recently I ve noticed this problem with the tyres
does anyone had the same problem?
of course I will repeat the inspection And change tyres but do you have any suggestions of what type of suspension can anyone use as an alternative to those that the car has from the factory? I mean is there any suggestion of something more stiff/sturdy? ( I am asking that if the hole story comes to that point)
( I drive the car only in tarmac)
thanks in advance (pardon my English!!!)

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Bridgestone tyres on this vehicle are notoriously bad. I ripped them all off after cracks appeared on the outer walls on all 4 tyres after 1 year. Worst tyres ever (Bridgestone Turanza). These slipped on poor roads, had terrible grip and the wheels even spun when moving off (even with ESP) on our country roads. They have poor handling and are useless in the wet and cold weather.

I complained to Bridgestone and showed them the pictures, for which they were going to do an investigation, but I had already dumped the tyres in favour of the Michelin as I was not prepared to put up with the problem any longer.

I replaced them with Michelin CrossClimate+ and they have been perfect ever since. I will be replacing them with the same when they next need changing.

I wouldn't do anything with the suspension - the struts and springs are designed specifically for this vehicle and if you change these you may void your insurance cover if you fit non-approved suspension parts.
timospap

Post by timospap »

thank you very much for your response ! I thought that Bridgestones were fine due to their name but I guess you are right! I ve ordered the Goodyear vector now ..I hope they perform better(?)
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Never get sucked in by the branding rubbish - it's just an illusion and marketing hype. It's the actual tyres that are what's important in in this case Citroen made a big mistake in my opinion going to Bridgestone for this vehicle.

I hope the new tyres work out for you, but if not, you know which ones I use with no issues for future reference.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

When I bought my C3 in 2019 I had a choice of 16" wheels or 17" wheels. On looking at various examples I found that the 17" wheels were fitted with Bridgestone and the 16" with Michelin. On checking the prices for the sizes I found the Michelin to be far cheaper, so I decided to go with those. The fronts were replaced at 29,500 miles and the rears are still going strong at 45,000 miles. My other car has Bridgestones on it, and although they seem OK, with no odd wear patterns, if I hadn't had them switched front to back (as recommended in the handbook) I doubt that the fronts would have made 20,000 miles.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

All that will do is just wear the rears (now on the front) just as rapidly - so saves nothing in the long run. I don't rotate mine, I just replace the fronts as needed and leave the backs which often outlast the fronts 2-3 times.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Juan Sheet wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:14 am All that will do is just wear the rears (now on the front) just as rapidly - so saves nothing in the long run. I don't rotate mine, I just replace the fronts as needed and leave the backs which often outlast the fronts 2-3 times.
I normally wouldn't do that. But I take the other car on a long continental trip at least once a year, and at the rate of wear of the 'old' fronts it was touch and go whether they would have lasted the trip. Hopefully now the 'new' fronts will be good enough to survive two trips. Also bear in mind that the cost of new tyres is currenly very high, and I hope that doing this, when it is time to replace them the prices may have fallen.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Wishful thinking on the prices falling front, but I appreciate your viewpoint 🤣👍
timospap

Post by timospap »

problem with tyres solved... i changed them...
the real problem still remains (that caused the premature wear0 the problem is that the car has the tendency to slip to the right even after two consecutive alligments today 27-5-23!!! i ve noticed the problem during the first months after the purchase! i did my complaints to the official retailers ... but this time was even worse due to the damage front tyres! of course i will contact with citroen greece and see what will happen... has anyone faced the same problem?
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Yep fully agree with Juan. On first Aircross when we ordered the grip control as option car came with Hancook 4 season tyres in the package. Changed these as no cost option for the Michelin Crossclimate +. Great tyres especially as we used the grip control many tines in ice snow and in conjunction with hill desent had no sliding / slipping etc and tyres good for normal road use for many thousands of miles hardy any wear on them and great in the rain etc too.
This time round the dreaded Bridgestone turanzas arrived, apparently all season tyres are not in the grip control package now. Mmnn..cost saving again !
So as not happy have been offered when next in dealers to get these changed Foc.
Have been offered either...Hancook 4 season, Goodyear All season, Avon AS7, Continental All season, Pireli All season or Michelin Crossclimate +.
Think I know which ones I will be choosing!
Was
2018 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic in Soft Sand.
Now
2022 Facelifted Model C3 Aircross Shine Plus 130 Automatic in Pepper Red, Black
roof & Black mirrors.