C3 Aircross Fuel Consumtion

New to the Citroen Aircross Forums? Introduce yourself here
liteman

Post by liteman »

I must say that for a new(ish) car and design, the figures are pretty disappointing and would have expected a lot better.

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Don't forget the cross-over between NEDP (New European Driving Cycle) and the newer WLTP (Worldwide harmonised Light-duty vehicle Test Procedure) will result in more realistic fuel economy figures than previously quoted and can be way way off what was produced in the manufacturer's brochures if you are looking at the old NEDP system.

NEDP basically utilised lab-tested vehicles to provide economy data, whereas WLTP provides more realistic real-world figures, so of course will be significantly lower by comparison.

So it may appear that newer vehicles are actually worse on the economy side than the older models, but only because the newer test and assessment is a lot more stringent. Also it took some manufacturers a while to convert and test all t heir vehicles, so there was a lot of confusion during the changeover.

Here are some comparisons from 3 PSA vehicles showing the difference:
Despite claiming to be capable of 94.1mpg, the Citroen C3 BlueHDi 75hp only manages to achieve 57.6mpg in real-world conditions.
The Peugeot 208 1.6-litre BlueHDi 120hp also disappoints returning just 60.1mpg compared to a laboratory figure of 94.1mpg.
The Peugeot 2008 1.2-litre Puretech 82hp on the other hand is one of the more “honest” cars, missing its claimed 57.6mpg fuel economy by a smaller 13.5mpg.
That last example on the 2008 using the 1.2 Puretech is the most frugal of the 1.2 Puretechs, so would result in circa 44.1 MPG - but considering many C3 Aircross petrol owners here tend to have the 110 or 130, expect that to go down further.....
Last edited by Juan Sheet on Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the2ems

Post by the2ems »

liteman wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:23 pm I must say that for a new(ish) car and design, the figures are pretty disappointing and would have expected a lot better.
Me too. I have an acquaintance who drives a 2ltr Ford Mondeo deisel, and can get up to 60mpg :o
2019 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Governments have allowed manufactures to mislead new car owners for years, i worked for a major engine maker who even filled their cars with thin oil until first service to meet so called fuel economy.
Following fuel information in a car brochure is a total waste of time, your better off asking people on forum such as this.
I also felt that new tyre information is useless, who in their right mind would believe a tyre manufacturer who carries out their own test, again the government allow it.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
liteman

Post by liteman »

Many thanks to all responded to this post, most helpful and interesting.