Own Dash Cam hardwire on C5 Aircross

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
C5_Ax_11

Post by C5_Ax_11 »

Has anyone fitted their own hardwired dash Cam, Front and back on a C5 Aircross?

Can’t see any YouTube videos to help. Which fuse to wire to, routing for rear camera wire etc.

I know Halfords to install for £70 for a front and rear, and think that includes a hardwire kit, but not sure how good they are. I prefer one with parking mode, and Halfords ones seem to just be off a g sensor so would miss stuff

srperry

Post by srperry »

I have installed a BlackVue Front & Rear camera in my car. I ran the power down the nearside windscreen pillar cover, which can be removed easily with care. I took it through to the fusebox behind the glovebox and connected it with a piggy-back fuse to the fuse that powers the power socket. The rear camera lead wasn't long enough, so I bought a longer one from a BlackVue retailer on Amazon. I ran that down the windscreen pillar too, and then behind the trim to the sill coverings. I took it to the back of the car that way, then up around the tailgate aperture to the centre at the top, then made a loop to the rear screen. It took about 3 hours for me to do it.

If you want to have parking camera on, you'll need to add another battery pack, bevause the drain, although small, will deplete the car battery too much.

I'll try to upload some photos when I have time.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

C5_Ax_11

Post by C5_Ax_11 »

srperry wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:28 pm I have installed a BlackVue Front & Rear camera in my car. I ran the power down the nearside windscreen pillar cover, which can be removed easily with care. I took it through to the fusebox behind the glovebox and connected it with a piggy-back fuse to the fuse that powers the power socket. The rear camera lead wasn't long enough, so I bought a longer one from a BlackVue retailer on Amazon. I ran that down the windscreen pillar too, and then behind the trim to the sill coverings. I took it to the back of the car that way, then up around the tailgate aperture to the centre at the top, then made a loop to the rear screen. It took about 3 hours for me to do it.

If you want to have parking camera on, you'll need to add another battery pack, bevause the drain, although small, will deplete the car battery too much.

I'll try to upload some photos when I have time.
Pics would be appreciated thanks if you can. Which fuse is it, number you used? Is that a switched one?

The old hardwire I did, the kit has a switch so when the battery drops to a certain level it stops anyway.

It sure if could run the rear cable through headlining as I’ve done that before. Have to miss the sunroof if it has one, not sure though if it’s possible.

Thanks
srperry

Post by srperry »

I took my rear cable along the floor under the floor edge trims, into the NS rear wheel-arch trim, then up the NS tailgate aperture under the rubber seal to the door.

I will try to supply photos in a few days...
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
C5_Ax_11

Post by C5_Ax_11 »

srperry wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:44 am I took my rear cable along the floor under the floor edge trims, into the NS rear wheel-arch trim, then up the NS tailgate aperture under the rubber seal to the door.

I will try to supply photos in a few days...
Any luck on more info please, and ideally pics if you have time please.

What fuse have you hardwired to? How long is the rear cable (I may need to buy a longer one), and what route for the rear cable?

Thanks
srperry

Post by srperry »

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

The rear cable is BlackVue CC-10, which is 10 metres in length - too much really, but no other option.

The fuse is number 31 in the lower dash fusebox inside the glovebox. It's not easy to get at - you need to persevere! :) The big red cable is from the piggyback fuse, and is the live to my camera, which had a cigarette -lighter plug/socket arrangment on it.

20230108_144222.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-08 150536.jpg

From the camera mount on the windscreen, below the mirror, I took both power and rear-camera cable up to the headlining (poking them into the gap betweem the headlining and screen, then across to the passenger windscreen pillar.

20230108_144627.jpg

I carefully removed the pillar cover using plastic trim-removal tools, as well as the one covering the end of the dashboard when the door is open.

Under the pillar trim is a cable conduit, which I laid the cables in, poking the power cable down to the fusebox and the rear-camera cable right down to the floor.

The camera cable was then pushed under the floor/sill trim all the way back to the rear seat, then under the wheel-arch panelling in the boot (I removed the plastic lockdowns, one of which is shown in the right-top of the following image), and pushed the cable into the void behind, bringing it under the rear boot trim.

20230108_153213.jpg

I pulled some cable out so you can see in the picture, and then from there I manouvered the cable up under the rear trim to the rubber tailgate seal -

20230108_152858.jpg

Then I hid it under the seal all the way up the nearside tailgate aperture to the middle of the top of the rear screen -

20230108_145133.jpg

It tool me about 4 hours, most of which was spent installing the front to rear cable. The balance of cable was left in the boot and poked in behind the trim. I hope that helps?
C5_Ax_11

Post by C5_Ax_11 »

srperry wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:09 pm Hi,

The rear cable is BlackVue CC-10, which is 10 metres in length - too much really, but no other option.

The fuse is number 31 in the lower dash fusebox inside the glovebox. It's not easy to get at - you need to persevere! :)
20230108_144222.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-08 150536.jpg
From the camera mount on the windscreen, below the mirror, I took both power and rear-camera cable up to the headlining (poking them into the gap betweem the headlining and screen, then across to the passenger windscreen pillar.
20230108_144627.jpg
I carefully removed the pillar cover using plastic trim-removal tools, as well as the one covering the end of the dashboard when the door is open.

Under the pillar trim is a cable conduit, which I laid the cables in, poking the power cable down to the fusebox and the rear-camera cable right down to the floor.

The camera cable was then pushed under the floor/sill trim all the way back to the rear seat, then under the wheel-arch panelling in the boot (I removed the plastic lockdowns, one of which is shown in the right-top of the following image), and pushed the cable into the void behind, bringing it under the rear boot trim.
20230108_153213.jpg
I pulled some cable out so you can see in the picture, and then from there I manouvered the cable up under the rear trim to the rubber tailgate seal -
20230108_152858.jpg
Then I hid it under the seal all the way up the nearside tailgate aperture to the middle of the top of the rear screen -
20230108_145133.jpg.
It tool me about 4 hours, most of which was spent installing the front to rear cable. The balance of cable was left in the boot and poked in behind the trim. I hope that helps?
Don't apologise for delay, we all are all busy, appreciate your time!

Thanks that's great I'll have a look then at pics. As you say rear is the nightmare to do, wonder if my standard 6M cable is enough that came with it?

I think it's a better idea to go route you've took, along bottom of sills rather than through headliner direct to back because of sunroof, and airbags. I wonder if Halfords would go that route as well, or just the easiest they could.
srperry

Post by srperry »

The standard cable that came with my cameras was 6M, and it was about 3 feet short.

Can't speak for Halfords, of course...
C5_Ax_11

Post by C5_Ax_11 »

srperry wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:09 pm Hi,

The fuse is number 31 in the lower dash fusebox inside the glovebox. It's not easy to get at - you need to persevere! :) The big red cable is from the piggyback fuse, and is the live to my camera, which had a cigarette -lighter plug/socket arrangment on it.
20230108_144222.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-08 150536.jpg
20230108_144627.jpg

20230108_153213.jpg
20230108_152858.jpg
20230108_145133.jpg.
Forgot to ask was the fuse you used permanently live, or switched?

I’m after a permanent live for a parking mode, the cable has an inbuilt low battery cut off.

I’ve opened up the glovebox, how on earth do you get access to the fuses!?! Horrendous design. Does the glovebox come down any further? I don’t want to force it, but the access is so difficult.

I can only see a few fuses, not even sure, as per manual, if it’s the upper or lower as can’t see both

I’m not even sure which is which as doesn’t look like it from the manual…so difficult