C5 Aircross engine oil pressure fault. Car cuts out on motorway

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Citroenperson

Post by Citroenperson »

After a 10 hour journey a few months ago an 'Engine oil pressure fault' warning came up while driving on the motorway and the car slowed to a stop. Luckily we had enough time to get to the hard shoulder and call breakdown to tow the car home.

I topped up the oil and took the car for short drives over the next few days and everything seemed normal. So I chalked it down to the long journey and not topping up the oil before starting out.

Over the last few weeks the same fault has happened again and the engine cut out. Once on a hill and once on an incline on the way out of a tunnel.

Each time after switching off the engine the car started with no problems and showed no faults!

Obviously the engine unpredictability slowing to a stop while driving it on the motorway can be pretty dangerous so I am planning to take it to a garage. The problem is the car reports absolutely no faults.

Has anyone else with a C3 / C5 aircross encountered anything similar?

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It would help if you stated what engine you have... Is this a Petrol or a Diesel.

If it's a petrol EB2 engine, as I suspect, then your vehicle may be suffering from the dreaded timing belt disintegration issue. Going on the basis that this is a petrol, then they use a 'belt in oil' system. The timing belt is in a bath of oil and it is essential that the timing belt is regularly checked for signs of break up. It is also critical the the correct recommended oil is used in these engines for this very reason. The belts timing belts can start to react / shred, causing the debris to gradually block up the lubrication channels.

Once this starts to happen it can obviously cause engine oil starvation / pressure issues and this is when the engine oil warning light will come on.

If this is the case, then I recommend you DO NOT drive the vehicle except for very short distances to the garage and get Citroen to check it over. The belt can be seen and inspected where the oil is added. If the oil strainer has started to clog up with debris this can also affect the lubrication.

Early belts suffered and I believe they have an earlier replacement date of about 6000 miles or to check the condition.

For the sought of thing I mean have a look at this 308 with the 1.2 Puretech engine:

Now tell me you have a diesel!
Citroenperson

Post by Citroenperson »

Thanks Juan, that's really helpful, I wasn't aware that the oil could affect the timing belt. It is a 1.2 Petrol engine and I haven't had a timing belt check since I bought it around 6 months ago when it had the standard pre-sale service and MOT.
I'll take it Citroen and ask them to check it over and hopefully it will be a straightforward fix and there isn't too much damage to the timing belt
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It's just a thought, and won't do any harm to have the belt examined. But it is essential to use the correct oil for these engines. Worst case scenario on these is oil starvation built up over time, then one day on the motorway engine oil light is on and next minute engine failure. Required replacement engine, so can't be too careful.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
garchipfm

Post by garchipfm »

I know that this may be a bit late to the forum, but my 2018 C3 Aircross Diesel had exactly the same problem in Sept 2022. On the motorway overtaking and suddenly lost power and oil pressure warning light.
Three months later car in for MOT and some other work and I mentioned problem to Citroen staff ( which they had already been told about) regarding loss of power and oil warning light.
The response I go was surprising as the employee told me that he knew exactly what the problem was, and went onto the computer system to confirm that the car was "known".
He confirmed that the car was in the age range and mileage range for a "known" problem. It seems that Citroen know that there are cars out there that have a "problem" where the timing belts are breaking down and clogging the oil inlet pipes thus producing a low oil pressure warning. If the car is less than 7 years old the remedial work is free of charge, new timing belt, oil pump and pipes, sensor etc.....which is a major job and would cost a lot of money......but free if less than 7 years old.

I asked the employee if this problem was known and they knew which cars had the problem why they have not done a recall of the cars....response was it's not a safety issue.....I told him that losing power at 70mph in the outside lane of a motorway is certainly a safety issue. He agreed but his hands were tied.....they can only act if the customer reports the problem, the cars is under 7 years and a certain mileage and there are error logs showing the low oil pressure warnings, also they have to remove the sump to confirm particles in the oil.

That happened yesterday and I got a confirmation call that the car would be repaired free of charge. This message needs to be spread around as I believe that what Citroen are doing is wrong.....these cars MUST be recalled.

I hope that this helps someone else out there.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It's not just Citroen, the issue affects certain EB2-engined vehicles which are fitted to Citroen, Peugeot, DS and Opel / Vauxhall vehicles.

The 'Belt in Oil' is a daft system to be honest and just invites more problems. The issue is going to be for those who do not perform regular maintenance or use a main dealer and whether an aftermarket mechanic would even think to perform the requisite checks on vehicles fitted with this engine.

It's not a safety recall as such, if the maintenance and checks are performed on time and any warnings are adhered to - but I take your point regarding the situation in your case at motorway speeds where the clogging has already started where the increased speed and engine oil pressure will hasten the blockage. In some cases it can be catastrophic with total destruction of the engine in the worst case.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

There appears to be confusion here. The cambelt issue mentioned is only on the 1.2 petrol issue. The issue garchipfm has is different as it is a diesel anfd the belts do not run in oil.

There was originally quite a high mileage for the cambelt change on a petrol engine, but is now 50,000 mies. Unfortunately the op did not provide the mileage. The issue is that the belt disintegtrates and may block the oil feed to the brake assist pump, but also may block the oill strainer in the sump. So it may not be as easy as just getting a belt replaced.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Indeed, this thread was started regarding the petrol EB2, and 'garchipfm' really should have started another thread as it is not the same issue or engine at all.
garchipfm

Post by garchipfm »

I posted the information here because the subject is C5 Aircross engine oil pressure fault, Car cuts out on motorway.
It does not say Petrol or Diesel.....
The mechanic did say that the cambelt was "wet"....so is running in the engine oil.....therefore similar fault.

What I was trying to get across was that Citroen has a fault on their engines (Petrol and Diesel) that they are NOT telling their customers about.

Some drivers are having to pay to fix a KNOWN fault.....where others are getting the fix FREE,
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

How's your French?

Manuals are available from RTA (Revue Technique Auto) as a PDF or online:

https://www.revue-technique-auto.fr/mod ... mm/listRta