Radio clicking?

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Hi, just wondered if anyone else has experienced this? Picked up the car just over 2 weeks ago and I've noticed random 'clicks' when listening to the radio, which can be one every 30 seconds to a minute so, or more frequently i.e. one every few seconds (sometimes they also stop for a while!) This sounds similar to a CD skipping a single 'track', and seems to come from one side at a time (left/right) but not both together. It happens on DAB & FM (on all channels I've tried) but not on USB or Bluetooth, and with the engine on or off. I tried disconnecting the mobile in case this made a difference, but it doesn't, and also tried turning on & off various settings. This is the standard (not upgraded) radio. I can live with it for a while but not the next few years, so might be a trip to the dealer coming up!
Thanks.
C3 Aircross Flair 1.2 110 Auto with Parking & Family packs & sunroof

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

Probably a stupid question but are you sure its the radio/speakers? I.e. you dont hear it when the radio is off?

Id have said interference from something in the car or a bad connection was the likely thing but if you still get it when the engine is off that probably rules that out. Have you tried to see if it comes from one particular speaker as that might suggest its a speaker/wiring fault as opposed to the radio itself.

Other than that Im stumped.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thanks AdrianC - no not a stupid question as the first time I noticed it I was driving in rain and thought it might be that or gravel etc. hitting the windscreen, but unfortunately not. I know it's coming from left and right separately but can't pinpoint the individual speakers, as it's quite a sharp click it must be coming from the door pillar ones if not all. I only noticed it after updating the maps but probably nothing to do with that, as I hadn't driven the car much before then. I'll keep an ear on it and see if it gets better/worse.
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

I noticed it too but I tied it down to just one particular radio station.
johnh

Post by johnh »

I had this problem on my flare but only when the heating was coming out of centre vents, would seem to make this clicking noise when vent warmed up seems a bit silly, when heating was on cold I didn't hear it.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Definitely the radio unfortunately, will see if they have time to listen to it during the recall visit!
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

I noted that radio cuts out always at same spot...I think it might be due to a WiFi hotspot that interferes with DAB transmission
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Hi all, an update on this - my car had its first annual service today and I'd left it until now to get this looked at. The dealer told me that this problem had now been fixed with a software update - I was a bit skeptical but they were absolutely right, no more clicks! I don't think anyone else has experienced this but thought I'd let you know. Another update should also have fixed the automatic braking system fault which has been discussed elsewhere here, I haven't been able to verify this yet. Well done Citroen and particularly Howards of Taunton (or "Tanton" according to the satnav :? , maybe they can fix that next time)
Mick p

Post by Mick p »

Car is three weeks old and after update I also have the random clicking from the radio,can the update been done remotely?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Hi Mick p, not as far as I know. I don't have details of the update but the dealer told me that they searched for this issue (I assume on some internal Citroen database), and they found the fix this way. My dealer is Howards of Taunton in case yours needs to contact them!