1.5 BlueHDi engine timing chain information.

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No, 8mm - that is the update - you can't just put any size on.

niphb01

Post by niphb01 »

I had a camshaft chain failure on my Citroen C5 Aircross last July. I had bought the 2019 car with 49000 (Approx) miles and a years warranty from a Citroen dealer. The dealer was themselves covered by a warranty company but Citroen agreed to deal with the problem. I heard that Citroen only do this for cars less than 5 years old. I had probably done about 10,000 miles so the milage at breakdown was probably about 60,000.

What my dealer got from Citroen was

New engine & parts + 19 hours labour paid for. The car was off the road for about 3 weeks but I had a courtesy car, I was happy with that.

However when I got the car back the Torque Converter broke within an hour of starting driving. Again the car was fixed by the dealer and I had a courtesy car.
Fastbysuzuki

Post by Fastbysuzuki »

That was a great outcome by both Citroen ( for a change) and full marks to the dealer.
marius73

Post by marius73 »

Hello Juan
Please help me with the chain info,I have a DS7 2022 model ,VIN :VR1JCYHZUNY514873
Thanks very much.
Marius
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No panic, you have the 8mm pack.
Conrod

Post by Conrod »

Hi.

I don't own an Aircross, but I came across this thread from a Google search regarding the 1.5 BlueHDi engine, which is fitted to my Vauxhall Vivaro (Citroen Dispatch equivalent) van.

Juan - as it's a Vauxhall rather than a Citroen you might not be able to check my VIN, but just in case it's ****************** - if it helps, the engine no is *************, Peugeot engine code DV5RUCd (YHR)

It was first registered in December 2019, and all the information I've found regarding the chain breaking problem suggests that this started with engines produced between 01/01/2020 and 31/01/2023. I've also found this diagram:

moteur-psa-1-5-diesel-destruction2.jpg

which shows the revised (8mm chain) camchain cover on the left (smiley face!), and the original (7mm) on the right. The left hand one has the 9830580480 part number, and the right hand one 9812647280.

But the odd thing is that, although I haven't yet scrabbled around with a mirror to read the cover's part number, mine definitely has the raised profile sections over the chain and sprockets shown in the left hand image. So did PSA start with an 8mm chain, switch to a 7mm chain in January 2020, then revert to the previous 8mm one in February 2023 after experiencing chain breakage problems?

I have also discovered that last month PSA sent out a Technical Service Bulletin stipulating that all vehicles using the DV5R engine should now use 5w30 rather than 0w30 oil - link here:

https://www.largus.fr/actualite-automob ... 31534.html

This presents another problem, as the PSA B71 2312 oil specification stipulates 0w30, and I've so far failed to find any 5w30 low SAPS oil which meets the PSA specification! I've submitted a query into a UK oil producer (Westway Oils) to see if they can shed any light on the issue.

I'm also planning to pop over to my local Vauxhall dealer to see if they can shed any light on the 7mm/8mm chain issue and the changed oil recommendation, but from my past experiences with them I won't hold my breath! :)

Cheers,

Alan
Last edited by Conrod on Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
maciej_sobieraj

Post by maciej_sobieraj »

Hello,
Maybe you can help me. I have Peugeot 3008 from 2020. Vin is VF3MCYHZJLS222883. Could you please check that I have 8 or 7 mm chain?
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Hi Juan I am new to the forum the information on here is excellent, I would appreciate if you could please tell me if my van suffers from the 7mm cam chain . I have a citroen berlingo 1.5 lwb on a 72 reg vin number is VR7 EFYHT2 NJ819412 . Thanks for any help you can provide.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

@Conrod: No PSA never switched from 8 to 7 to 8. Affected engines always had the 7mm chain and only now are they being replaced with a stronger 8mm chain where the symptoms present.

I can't check your VIN as each marque requires a separate charge and Vauxhall is an additional subscription, sorry. Check your vehicle for the marking as I suspect the same info will apply. I would ignore the casing and see what is actually marked as it will either have the updated chain at factory or if modified, the revised number will be placed over the existing number to indicate replacement / upgrade.

@ maciej_sobieraj: 7MM Chain at factory.
@Anubis: 7MM Chain at factory.
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Thank you Jaun for your time , I tried to view the plate on the rocker cover with a mirror ,I know roughly where it sits however i cant seem to see it. Does anybody have a method of being able to view it ? Thanks for any help.