C3 Aircross timing belt to engine damage

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
srperry

Post by srperry »

If the garage is charging you £600 for a diagnostic report, you are entitled to a copy of it. If they refuse, don't pay them and tell them you'll see them in court. Report them to Citroen. Ask Citroen to intervene. Give all the details to Citroen and camp on their doorstep until they do something - is your daughter or yourself a member of the AA/RAC, or do you have legal cover on your insurance? I would try all avenues and also go to trading standards. The garage sounds like a right bunch of crooks. Name them and shame them.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience

robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

Just throwing my two cents here.

I would certainly try your luck at civil court, gather all the evidence you can of all the failures you can and see if you can bring a case to get your money back. I’ve worked in legal, and I’ve been to court a lot and that’s definitely what I would try. If it’s a known fault it shouldn’t matter that a service has been missed, as the fault lies with the part of the car, not the service schedule. It might not go anywhere but what have you got to lose?
2019 C5 Aircross 2.0 Diesel Flair Plus
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Or you can try the motor ombudsman if you are not happy with the decision.

If I understand your last response, you said they would charge you £600 if you wanted a diagnostic report. So that seems like they don't want you to have it or it has not been done or they are putting you off.

Citroen labour rates are about £120 an hour - so that would have to be near 5 hours worth of labour - on what?

It would be cheaper to get a used engine for £900 and have a good independent fit as another suggestion.
daz288

Post by daz288 »

Hi Garyb1973,
I have exactly the same issue with Citroen, my C3 Aircross, had the engine light come on, went into limp mode. Took it to my usual service outfit, who checked it and said it had to go to main dealer as it's likely a timing belt issue.
Main dealer quoted me £1800 to replace the Belt, vacuum pump, electro valve and a bunch of screws and labour. It's done 60,000 miles and a 2019 plate, and I did miss a service in 2021, my fault as I wasn't using the car due to covid and off work, so they told me I could not get any help with the cost.
Yesterday they phoned me to say they now think the belt damaged the Oil pump and it's going to cost £3900, and possibly a new engine!
Did you get any help in the end?
Fastbysuzuki

Post by Fastbysuzuki »

If I have read this correctly the garage want to charge you £3900 fit the parts then decide if you need a new engine? That would be ridiculous, they can test many parts ie compression and leak down test to check the compression of the cylinders that would give them an answer before making a decision on a new engine, before fitting anything else.
daz288

Post by daz288 »

Just an update....The garage quoted me £1800 to change the belt and other bits, then as they started the work, they told me the Oil pump is damaged, and potentially the engine is damaged too.
They told me to check the engine will cost me £276, then they will let me know the results. I asked the Service manage, in his experience, did he think the engine was damaged by the belt debris, he told me he's only worked at the dealership for 2 weeks, and they have had 3 of these 1.2 puretech engine cars with exactly the same fault, 1 had a damaged engine!
I called them again today (they never call me), to ask for an update, they said they believe the engine is okay, but definitely needs a new Oil pump, and the whole belt replacement kit, it will now cost me £2,300.
So after 3 weeks of dropping my car there, with no courtesy car, as apparently you have to be able to see into the future, and book one 2 weeks in advanced of your car braking down, I finally have an answer to fixing it, now they just have to fit it in!