C5 Key fob fails - Car of Fob issue? - is it due to cold?

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
pwatts2

Post by pwatts2 »

I have noticed during the last couple of days of cold weather in the UK that neither of our 2 key fobs are working on our car. We have to unlock the car manually (which then sets off the alarm when we open the door) and the car does not recognise the fob. The fobs are stored in a room in the house which can get cold, but not usually below 10C. Temperature outside has been below 0C (was -5 this morning), does this impact the systems in the car at all?

Is this something that others have noticed? If so what solutions have been found? We have noticed that once the car has been unlocked for a short while the fobs are recognised again - which is helpful to start it up! If we needed to start the car without the fob being recognised is that possible?

Thanks

BusybeasC5A

Post by BusybeasC5A »

Hi,
Assuming you have keyless entry ?

Even though I have a C4, this is exactly the same issue I experienced in November last year.
No warning lights on dash.. no error nothing..

Neither key would work or be recognised..

I did everything the manual said... replaced batteries in fobs, re-initialised both keys to the car/ steering column.. nothing worked.
The buttons on fob wouldn't either so had to use the emergency key inside the fob and as you said.. the alarm always sounds.. it was a real pain.
Disabling the keyless system as described on this forum, didn't help at all.

When the car did start.. it was ok while driving.. but within 5 minutes after locking the keys were 'forgotten' ad infinitum....

Citroen were terrible..( cars under 3 years so inside warranty) the earliest available appt was 2.5 months away! ( Nov - mid Jan!)
I couldn't wait that long with the inconvenience so the search was on..

Eventually after much web searching I found a French guy on a french car forum... he suggested it was the main car battery!
I put the battery on trickle charge for 24 hours.. voila.... all recognised and all worked!
I continued trickle charging the battery and everything has worked since without any issue.

I have no idea why the keyless system stopped working, on mine... even if the battery was low.. but in my case.. charging the battery did the trick!
Could be just coincidence... or simply electronic gremlins that infest citroen technology from time to time.

It may or may not resolve your issue, but its worth a try , perhaps ?

I am now expecting to replace the battery sometime this year.. disappointing as not 3 years and less than 18k miles... and no warning or other 'battery issues'...

Cheers
Steve
NOW 2023 C4X Shine 130 1.2 Petrol EAT8 in Perla Nera Black
WAS 2021 C4 Shine Plus 130 HDI BLUE EAT 8 in Elixir Red
WAS 2020 C5 Aircross 130HDi BLUE EAT 8 Flair Plus in Platinum Grey
WAS 2016 DS4 EAT6 Blue Hdi
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It will be your vehicle battery being in a weak condition - especially in the cold temperatures where demand is heavy. This can cause the fobs to become unsynchronised.

Just follow the guidance in your vehicle handbook to resynchronise them, but I suggest you have you battery health checked. If the battery is 5 years old it's at end of service life and is due for a replacement. Capacity is probably far below what it was when new.
Ray55

Post by Ray55 »

Hi thanks to the forum for accepting me, I joined the group as I have just bought a C5 aircross 1.6 petrol auto flair plus 69 reg.
Since the cold snap this last few days I have trouble accessing my car with either remotes.

They will not connect to the car, so tomorrow I was going to renew the fob batteries but now realise it could be car battery at fault. The dealer I bought the car from are very helpful so hopefully will get it sorted.