Newly acquired C5 AC - looking for map update help please

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
graham b

Post by graham b »

Hi all,

Newbie here. And not very IT literate but will have a go.

Bought a very low mileage 2020 C5 AC Flair for daughter. Excellent so far! Its nav software is dated 2019 and the maps don't show any of the streets in surrounding developments! VIN is VR7ACYHZJLL014147.

Registered with the Citroen App and also downloaded the Citroen Update PC app into windows laptop. Recognises VIN and suggests both head unit and map updates available. Downloads to the PC fail every time - "An error occurred while retrieving update data. Please check your connection settings." Connectivity is fine - it has a wired connection to a direct superfast fibre.

Have a new 64GB USB 3.0 stick - newly formatted. But its not even downloading anything.

Really appreciate advice on steps to take please.

I just expected it all to work!

Hope its not a dealer job - nowhere near one!

Thanks and Happy Christmas!

Graham

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Here you go, but it will take a little explaining.
You currently have a Wave 3 unit - which is the hardware version. These units have since been merged with the later Wave 4 units. So before you can update to later firmware and later maps, you must first install the 'crossover' firmware which is the one listed directly below:

Firmware 42.03.33.42_NAC-r0

So first install this update. When complete, then install the latest firmware, which is:

Firmware 44.07.05.22_NAC-r0

Then finally, when you have installed this firmware, you can install the latest map version 15.0.0-r0:

Map V 15.0.0-r0

Merry Christmas - I hope! 🎅 :D
Last edited by Juan Sheet on Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Good Morning.
Also a newby and not wanting to hijack someone else's posting, but my question is similar.
We've just bought a 2020 C5 Aircross Flair Plus 2.0 Automatic, loving it (We've had only Citroën's for the past 30+ years...BX19, Zantia, 2x Synergies, Mk1 C4, Mk2 C4 and now this).
On our C4 MkII the sat nav continued to show existing speed cameras even though we did not update. Our Aircross is 3yrs old, so would need updating to receive new camera and road information, but why is it not showing the cameras that are already sited?
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

The systems used on earlier vehicles were completely different. The older systems had both map updates and separately to this speed camera / radar updates which were available to purchase monthly or annually. So basically if you never updated the speed camera database on the head unit, it would simply retain the data of the last version installed.

Moving on, the telematics unit installed on your C5 Aircross works completely differently. You update the maps normally as they are released and these are free for life. However PSA provide 'Live Services' free for only 3 years. After this date, you have the option and are usually invited by email to renew these services just before they expire.

If you don't, unlike the old systems I mentioned above, the vehicle will no longer display any 'live connected services'. These include Speed camera locations and alerts, fuel prices, car park places available, weather alerts or live traffic information etc. Of course the navigation will work as normal, but without these services. The system is connected to Citroen's network via the independent telematic unit connection, which monitors the status of your subscription. If the subscription is no longer active, then these live services are disabled - and by that I mean they no longer retain old data, they are simply not available.

You can log into your Citroen Connected Services account and renew either the connected services subscription, or just the speed camera service.

So this is why the speed cameras will no longer be displayed on your map.

My connected services are about to expire sometime today, so you may decide (as I have), to use the Sygic navigation app for iPhone / Android, Waze or other navigation apps that work with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto that your vehicle will support. I used Waze for a while, but on the recommendation of another member, I downloaded Sygic Navigation and decided to pay £14.99 a year for all the live service data and more.

I should say that it is brilliant. In fact, it already has all the 20 MPH speed limits imposed where I am, that the factory sat nav does not even show, It has speed cameras, radar, all the POIs you can think of, live traffic, Head Up Display option (where you lay your phone flat on the dash and it reflects in reverse the key speed and turn info onto the windscreen), and also speed sign recognition (if your vehicle does not already have this), plus it can function as a video recorder, dash cam as well.

I don't need the HUD as my vehicle already has a Head Up Display, and I already have a dash cam, but the fact that it has these capabilities as options is excellent. So far I am really impressed and it has performed flawlessly, so you may want to give it a try. It is free, but comes with a 7 day trial of the premium features if you wish. When you think of what Citroen require for their subscription (circa £100 a year) it becomes a no-brainer.
Last edited by Juan Sheet on Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
graham b

Post by graham b »

Good Morning Juan,

Hugely appreciate your response. I will give it a try. Plenty down time over the holiday to watch it load :-)

I assume I need to load each onto a USB drive and apply in turn. i.e. not all 3 on a large drive and apply in the car one by one?

And do I have to use a max 32GB USB drive pre-formatted FAT32? My laptop won't format in FAT32.

Unlike Pete, we're new to Citroens - the C5 AC ticked all the boxes for a young family with 2 toddlers and a baby coming in February. Its a very nice car indeed. and fully expect it to be super reliable - the diesels have a good reputation.

Thanks again.

G
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Hi Graham.

You can use Windows to format your USB in FAT32. It's just that it's not shown under the graphical interface when formatting. You just have to use the command prompt and type this, just substitute the 'H' in the code beow with the actual drive letter assigned to your USB drive:

CODE: Select all

format /FS:FAT32 H:
1) Yes apply only one update at a time and in the exact order I have specified in my post.
2) Make sure you only copy the extracted contents onto the memory key and NOT the actual downloaded compressed file.
3) Reformat the USB key each time before the next update.
srperry

Post by srperry »

Juan Sheet wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:20 am
My connected services are about to expire sometime today, so you may decide (as I have), to use the Sygic navigation app for iPhone / Android, Waze or other navigation apps that work with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto that your vehicle will support. I used Waze for a while, but on the recommendation of another member, I downloaded Sygic Navigation and decided to pay £14.99 a year for all the live service data and more.

I should say that it is brilliant. In fact, it already has all the 20 MPH speed limits imposed where I am, that the factory sat nav does not even show, It has speed cameras, radar, all the POIs you can think of, live traffic, Head Up Display option (where you lay your phone flat on the dash and it reflects in reverse the key speed and turn info onto the windscreen), and also speed sign recognition (if your vehicle does not already have this), plus it can function as a video recorder, dash cam as well.

I don't need the HUD as my vehicle already has a Head Up Display, and I already have a dash cam, but the fact that it has these capabilities as options is excellent. So far I am really impressed and it has performed flawlessly, so you may want to give it a try. It is free, but comes with a 7 day trial of the premium features if you wish. When you think of what Citroen require for their subscription (circa £100 a year) it becomes a no-brainer.
Hi Juan,

Glad you liked Sygic! :)
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

So far so good! Sorry, I couldn't remember off the top who it was that recommended it :D
srperry

Post by srperry »

No problem!
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
graham b

Post by graham b »

Thank you!! Successfully downloaded the 2 firmware files onto my laptop ready to transfer to a FAT32 USB drive. However the map TAR file Map V 15.0.0-r0 failed to download. Error [filename] can't be downloaded securely. IS something blocking the .tar file or an I using the wrong download procedure? I'm just clicking on it!
Thanks, Graham