Which disk format should I use for USB

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
MikeBrad

Post by MikeBrad »

Please don’t shoot the messengers, Ian, we are all patiently trying to help you here!!
If you read Graham’s post earlier today, you will see that the process is exactly the same for both Touchscreen AND mapping, both of which should result in the production of a folder called SWL. You do not need to name or rename anything. Graham has helpfully provided you with a link to the manual which gives step-by-step instructions with graphics. And “TrizNez” has provided a screen-print of what you should end up with if you have used appropriate software to “unpack” the download file.
Mike

grahams

Post by grahams »

Hi Ian,

As Mike points out the update instructions are the the same for the touchscreen and the mapping. There is no need the rename anything as they will unzip to the required file type.

The instructions I posted refer to the screen update which you enquired about - these are items 3 & 4 in the manual.

Anyone wanting to update mapping should follow items 5 & 6 in the manual.

Graham
johnh

Post by johnh »

I am 75yrs old and aint got a clue what you chaps are talking about, Think citroen should have a service to do this for a price.
grahams

Post by grahams »

I'm 2 years behind you age wise and completely agree with you John. I'm reasonably computer literate and find the updates OK. However Citroen should recognise that not all their customers have access to computers & internet or have the necessary skills to update. Yes the dealers could probably do it at the yearly service but that means owners miss out on the regular updates throughout the year. Citroen do need to provide a service as a low cost option.
Graham
grahams

Post by grahams »

I'm 2 years behind you age wise and completely agree with you John. I'm reasonably computer literate as I have had a bit of a techy background and find the updates OK.
However Citroen should recognise that not all their customers have access to computers & internet or have the necessary skills to update.
Yes the dealers could probably do it at the yearly service but that means owners miss out on the regular updates throughout the year.
Citroen do need to provide a service as a low cost option.
Graham
Ianbhenderson73

Post by Ianbhenderson73 »

I'm officially at the end of my tether with this!

Tonight I have completely wiped my USB memory stick. I've also installed a trial version of WinZip on my laptop, and followed exactly the instructions detailed in Step 1 of the guide. I then followed exactly the instructions detailed in Step 3 of the guide, which left me with a folder called rcc_update, and a license key file. Note: the folder is NOT called SWL.

I then went down to the car, started the engine and waited for the infotainment system to start up. I then inserted the USB key into the slot, and was rewarded with a message telling me that the USB device I'd inserted was incompatible with my vehicle. This obviously differs from the initial message detailed in Step 4 of the guide, but I went with it anyway and waited the recommended ten seconds. After that, nothing. No activity that suggested that the warning message I'd been shown was any sort of hoax.

Am I missing something really obvious here?
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

I had a similar problem when trying to update the firmware on a Mazda. By default the Fat32 format does not support files larger than 4GB and cannot be changed which is why Microsoft invented the NTFS system. I reformated to NTFS and it worked. The car was not bothered about the format, just the files. Maybe worth a try.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.
johnh

Post by johnh »

grahams wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:08 pm I'm 2 years behind you age wise and completely agree with you John. I'm reasonably computer literate as I have had a bit of a techy background and find the updates OK.
However Citroen should recognise that not all their customers have access to computers & internet or have the necessary skills to update.
Yes the dealers could probably do it at the yearly service but that means owners miss out on the regular updates throughout the year.
Graham
Most cars are now being fitted with screens seems it would be a good move for someone to set up a company doing this. Pity because it works well on the aircross.
johnh

Post by johnh »

johnh wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 pm
grahams wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:08 pm I'm 2 years behind you age wise and completely agree with you John. I'm reasonably computer literate as I have had a bit of a techy background and find the updates OK.
Graham
Most cars are now being fitted with screens seems it would be a good move for someone to set up a company doing this. Pity because it works well on the aircross. before it needs updating.
johnh

Post by johnh »

johnh wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:40 pm
johnh wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 pm
Graham
Most cars are now being fitted with screens seems it would be a good move for someone to set up a company doing this. Pity because it works well on the aircross. before it needs updating. This is my 5th citroen and they dont want to know about this just say you will have to sort it yourself, so change of car maker next time.