1.5 BlueHDi engine timing chain information.

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

@Givskov: Yes, you too, your RPO is 15577 and 7mm chain fitted.

Givskov

Post by Givskov »

Thx Juan 🙏

Car should have been towed to the garage t'day, but we have heavy snow in DK atm, so the tow guy couldn't drag it out of the driveway, because it's way to icy. So it will probably have to be sitting there for some days more, before the garage can have a look.
But - nothing is so bad, it isn't good for something - at least it will not cost me anything in diesel, while waiting 😂

I'll keep the forum/thread posted, when I have something from the garage.

/Jens
Givskov

Post by Givskov »

As I'm trying to prepare for the talk with the dealer/garage - can somebody who has access to the service.citroen.com post the full text of the Technical Service Bulletins mentioned in this thread. I have an ordinary user at service.citroen.com, but can't see them, unless I pay a fortune

TSB's:

(1) The first refers to 'Knocking Noise in the Upper Area of the Cylinder Head on the Timing Belt Side', the origin of which is play in the camshaft drive chain.

Affected vehicles are stated as: C5 AIRCROSS (C84) AND EURO 6.3 ENGINE EMISSION CONTROL AND DV TYPE ENGINE UNTIL RPO 16793.

(2) The second refers to "The engine will not start - disruption to or offsetting of the camshaft drive chain setting - the engine starts but is not functioning correctly - presence if noise around the camshaft drive chain setting - air or combustion counter-pressure noise in the air inlet manifold." The origin of which is the camshaft drive chain is broken.

Thanks in advance,

Jens
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

I can't really replicate those here, but they are listed under the timing section of the diagnostics that your garage will have access to. To save you a lot of hassle, they won't actually do anything about it (I've already been in touch with Citroen UK and the dealership) until the symptoms are evident. In other words they won't do any preventative intervention until the noise starts and then they will investigate and run the tests.

Obviously if the camshaft chain has broken then they won't get very far when it gets to the garage, so they will have to investigate the issue with the vehicle in any case and should be aware of the TSBs. Just make sure you have all your servicing information ready to show the vehicle has been maintained to the correct intervals, and specifications for each service (whether inside or outside the dealership network).
martyness

Post by martyness »

Since I've heard nothing back from the departments of Citroen my email was forwarded to I have now decided to contact the dvsa for them to investigate the issue to hopefully force a recall.

They are clearly wanting to keep the issue hidden to reduce their costs.

If anyone else wants to add to it the web address is

https://contact-dvsa.service.gov.uk/rep ... ty-defect/
C5 aircross flair plus platinum grey metallic with red inserts
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Do keep us updated Martyn.
martyness

Post by martyness »

The last two emails I've had from Citroen yesterday and today have just been them saying theirs no recall on the 1.5 diesel engines and to keep up with the scheduled maintenance and then we'll respond appropriately to any third party party contact (DVSA).

Basically they are refusing to acknowledge the issue and don't want to talk about it.

Hopefully the DVSA get a better response since i sent them a screenshot of the tsb information.
C5 aircross flair plus platinum grey metallic with red inserts
JPB05

Post by JPB05 »

Hi have a problem with a 2019 3008 with this engine type, can I send you the VIN please
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It all depends what they class as a 'safety' issue, which is generally what the recalls are for. As things stand with PSA, which affects all these specific 1.5 engines across the marques, they do not have it as an after-sales campaign or of course a recall.

It's woefully inadequate as at present their stance is a 'wait until the damage is done' position 'then we'll take a look at your servicing history, mileage and age before we decide on whether we'll make a contribution and if so how much '

The fact that they already have detailed and extensive information on the repair shows that this is a substantial intervention and that we are sitting on a ticking time bomb.
JPB05

Post by JPB05 »

Engine cut out, complete loss of power. Car stopped in the middle of the road. as its an automatic, I could not start it again, and wheels were locked. Dashboard all illuminated and could not switch things off or lock the door. Sat there, middle of the road, on a corner for 2.5 hrs until the AA came out. 2 further hours later tow truck turns up and takes the vehicle away to the Peugeot garage. Now told its a replacement engine plus ad blue tank. Had the car since new (Nov 2019), it has 51,500 miles on the clock, and I have driven all of those miles. All services have been conducted at the Peugeot dealer. Just seems wrong