C3 2017 Oil Pressure Light

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
NPwalsh

Post by NPwalsh »

Heyo,

Car in question is a 2017 C3 1.2L petrol

An issue I've been having is with our Oil Pressure light, it very briefly comes on at times during journeys, normally after a sudden break, but sometimes completely randomly. Maybe 2-3 times a week (car does 30+) journeys a week.

The light sometimes doesn't even finish the warning tone before it goes off. Usually topping up the oil sets it at bay but also concerned that it might be going through a lot of oil too, but recent service says everything is fine.

I suppose my question is, what could be triggering the light in the first place. Mechanically the car is sound, not long had a new cambelt after previous snapped, and this oil thing is so intermittent, but obviously annoying. My first throught was a faulty sensor of some kind, but that surely wouldn't be triggered so infrequently, and the fact that it's usually when braking suddenly could suggest some issue with the way the oil is flowing?

It really is a headscratcher. I've seen someone say it could be a wrong oil filter ever so slightly reducing the flow, but not enough to be an issue. It's just frustrating so deal with. Especailly when we had a service in August and RAC won't entertain the idea of looking at the filter unless we cough up and extra £65. Everyone who's looked at the car has said no issue to report, but what do we do about this light!

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It should be properly checked out, as an oil pressure light on these engines means exactly that - as this is belt in oil system, the earlier cam belts were known to break up and clog the oil strainer and oil channels leading to loss of braking vacuum. Additionally, debris from the shredded belts can get into the oil lubrication channels and cause oil starvation and in worst case scenario catastrophic engine failure requiring a new engine!

So I would not ignore this at all and get it checked out by a competent garage or preferable the dealer to make sure that there is no debris still in the system causing blockages.