C5 Aircross wet belt and warranty

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Gadgey

Post by Gadgey »

Hi,

First time post. I had been planning on test driving a couple of C5 Aircross and buying one tomorrow. I have a 15k budget.

There are some really knowledgeable folks on here and reading about the wet belt on this forum has made me think twice and I’d welcome some advice.

I’ve read that the wet belt is a real issue and in particular, for some early models. Is there a manufacture period that is best kept steering clear of?

Is this an issue in the 1.6 petrol?

How can I check that this has been done and am I right in thinking that once the original belt is changed, that the service interval reverts to owners manual?

Also, my budget takes me to just outside of the 3 year manufacturer warranty. Is it worth raising my budget and purchasing one just under 3 years and buying an extended Citroen warranty?

How much does it cost and is it worth having?

Thanks in advance.

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

They all have issues. The 1.6 in the Prince engine which are now replaced with the 1.2 Puretech, but the 1.6 Prince engines have their share of issues with weak timing chains too.

The 1.2 Puretechs are OK as long as you keep up the maintenance and ensure you have them properly serviced using the exact specific oil specification (not just grade). The timing belt issues are dependent on the exact engine, but where these are replaced earlier than usual (63k miles) depending on model, then they will enjoy an extended period (12 year / 120k mile) interval and ditto for the ancillary drive belts.

As for extended warranty, yes go for it, but these are not always available unless purchasing a Citroen approved vehicle from the dealer that offers it with the car, which you can then usually extend each year subject to mileage and age. I do this myself.

So personally, if it was me, I'd stick tot he 1.2 Puretech, but just ensure the maintenance is done. Also, the 1.6 Price versions are known to drink oil..
Gadgey

Post by Gadgey »

Thanks Juan Sheet.

I didn’t know about the 1.6 having issues either and I must admit, that with an auto box was alluring.

Are you suggesting that I give that a steer?
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

I think many models have their issues, the Prince engine which was jointly developed by PSA and BMW was fitted to many vehicles and there are plenty of disgruntled owners on various vehicle fora sharing their experiences.

I've been a Diesel owner since my last XM Petrol, but have driven several of the newer 1.2 Puretechs and these are very efficient and powerful dependent on the model as they are available in a lot variations. I'd do some research into both and see what you think.
Gadgey

Post by Gadgey »

Just to update, juan sheet, your advice was really helpful. I am now the proud owner of a 2019 c5 Aircross flair plus 1.2 puretech on 38k with a full dealer history.

I’m genuinely surprised at how well that small engine pulls that large frame around.

Only downside is that there’s no owner’s manual and there’s so much tech that I’m struggling to get my head around it all without guidance.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Hi Gadgey
See attached pics C5 Full Manual available on ebay. I have one for my C3 and its so well put together in great binder with plastic cover and good quality paper A4 or A5 is available.

Screenshot_20231008-225223_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231008-225131_eBay.jpg

Was
2018 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic in Soft Sand.
Now
2022 Facelifted Model C3 Aircross Shine Plus 130 Automatic in Pepper Red, Black
roof & Black mirrors.
Gadgey

Post by Gadgey »

Thanks Martin
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Ignore all that^^^^

Manuals are FREE! You do not need to pay for them, they are available online from Citroen for no charge here:

https://public.servicebox-parts.com/dtt ... index.html

Just select your language from the top right corner, then model and build year. Many are then downloadable as PDFs.

Anyone stupid enough to pay an ebay scammer for them deserves to get ripped off.

Martin, please stop posting these links (and might I suggest you even edit your post and remove it) as this encourages fraud and lines the pockets of these despicable people.