Which disk format should I use for USB

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Ianbhenderson73

Post by Ianbhenderson73 »

Hi. My MyCitroen app has advised me that an update is available for the touchscreen. I’ve downloaded the update and am ready to install it in the car but when I insert the USB key into the car it isn’t recognising it.

What disc format should I use for the USB key?

mike1940

Post by mike1940 »

:o FAT 32 with 16gb. Make sure the memory stick is reformatted. Follow instructions when downloadinf the file and unzipping.
I had a struggle but the memory stick I was using. It had been used for other downloads and despite reformatting did not work. Bought a new Sandisk 16bg and it worked. Hope this helps. :ugeek:
Ianbhenderson73

mike1940 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:02 pm :o FAT 32 with 16gb. Make sure the memory stick is reformatted. Follow instructions when downloadinf the file and unzipping.
I had a struggle but the memory stick I was using. It had been used for other downloads and despite reformatting did not work. Bought a new Sandisk 16bg and it worked. Hope this helps. :ugeek:
Yeah, it's weird. I used a 16gb stick, specially formatted for the purpose as FAT32. Initially I couldn't copy the downloaded files onto the stick because it was claiming that the freshly-formatted stick (16Gb) didn't have enough space available for the downloaded files (4Gb). So I unpacked the downloaded RAR file and transferred the files over individually. That bit has worked but when I insert the stick into the car's USB port it's telling me that the drive is not compatible.

At this rate I think I'll need to buy a brand-new stick and see how that goes.
Ianbhenderson73

So I bought a new 16gb memory stick and had exactly the same problem. It turns out that although the stick is formatted as Fat32, that format doesn’t support the transporting of single files that are more than 4gb in size, which this particular download is. Does anyone know of a workaround which doesn’t involve taking it back to the dealership?
MikeBrad

Post by MikeBrad »

The update file which you download to your computer has the extension “.rar” which means it is a number of files and folders all packed into one large folder to facilitate download. Think of it as a large suitcase containing a number of small items. As you state, Windows doesn’t allow the transfer of single files exceeding 4Gb, so you have to “unpack” your suitcase and then transfer the smaller items from within (ie folders and files) onto your memory stick. This might sound daunting, but there are a number of free “unpacking” programmes available to download from the internet, all of which will “unpack your suitcase” for you. One called 7-Zip seems to be a popular choice within this Forum. Just google it to locate it for download.

Good luck!
MikeBrad

Post by MikeBrad »

Forgot to mention, for the benefit of those who have done everything correctly, but still get an error message when you insert the stick in the car, be patient when you start the engine and allow the touchscreen system to fully load before inserting the stick. This is indicated by the words/icon “TomTom Traffic” appearing in the bottom-right of the Satnav screen.
Ianbhenderson73

I've already downloaded an app that will unpack RAR files. I had previously tried unpacking the archive and transferring everything onto the memory stick. However I'm still getting a message telling me that the file format isn't compatible.

I'll try it again, but wait until the touchscreen has finished loading before inserting the memory stick. Incidentally, the update I'm applying has nothing to do with the Satnav - it's an update for the touchscreen system itself.
MikeBrad

Post by MikeBrad »

Yeah, understood, same principle for both map and touchscreen updates, the system can take a couple of minutes to fully load after startup. One other point, is yours a USB3 stick? It needs to be, won’t work with USB2.
Ianbhenderson73

Ah, it's a USB2 :(
Ianbhenderson73

I've now bought a 32GB USB3 memory stick, and have unpacked all of the files into the root of that drive, along with the Activation Key. When I insert the key into the car's USB slot it still tells me it's an incompatible device.

As a test, I also have a 16GB USB3 memory stick on loan from a friend. I've done exactly the same thing with his memory stick as with mine. Now, I get the same error message, but the car still plays the MP3 files that are on that stick so it's obviously able to read something from it that it can't from mine.

Do I need to have the files arranged in a particular folder structure?