Rear brakes sticking when parked.

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
abt

Post by abt »

I have a 70/2021 Citroen C3 Aircross Flair 1.2 Puretech. The rear brakes almost always stick when I park for anything over six or seven hours. They release when I move off, but they do stick almost every time I park, even from 8am to 5pm at work. Is there anything that should be done to prevent it? Is there something I can do simply, or would a garage need to do it? TIA.

Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Are you parking in a damp environment or passing through water prior to parking? Only time when my brakes stick are after a car wash when the discs are still warm, which creates a layer of surface rust.
C3 Aircross Flair 130BHP manual - Breathing Blue
the2ems

Post by the2ems »

abt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:13 am I have a 70/2021 Citroen C3 Aircross Flair 1.2 Puretech. The rear brakes almost always stick when I park for anything over six or seven hours. They release when I move off, but they do stick almost every time I park, even from 8am to 5pm at work. Is there anything that should be done to prevent it? Is there something I can do simply, or would a garage need to do it? TIA.
Mine do the same. Nearly always a clunk as I pull away.
2019 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Hi all , We had a 68 plate C3 Aircross Flair 110 automatic it had same issue. If you pulled away after leaving the car say overnight it would stick and make clunking noise felt like handbrake was sticking on. If you put foot on brake and pulled handbrake on / off sharply a few times before pulling away it did not clunk. Was still in warranty so
took to local dealer they knew about issue apparently. Fix was they fitted a steel plate at back of disc on rear wheels. Looked like a cover plate said this was Citroëns suggestion. No problem since this I also knew another user who had same fix and their dealer did this under warranty for them too.
Found couple old pics ( attached) if you zoom in just can see the shiny plate at back of the actual disc.
Our new 22plate C3 Aircross 130 Shine plus auto has clunked a few times too. Does not have this cover plate fitted though. 1st service due next month will mention to dealer. See what they say.

Screenshot_20230203-164213_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230203-163641_Gallery.jpg

Was
2018 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic in Soft Sand.
Now
2022 Facelifted Model C3 Aircross Shine Plus 130 Automatic in Pepper Red, Black roof, Black roof bars & mirrors.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Just to let you know I had the same issue on my diesel. Every morning I would get the crunch as I moved off after releasing the handbrake.

There is a TSB for this which involves installing some brake shields at the rear. These are intended to prevent mud, grit and snow from building up and binding. Despite there not being any snow in sight, I managed to get them done as it was driving me crazy. Amazingly enough, having them fitted has resulted in the total cessation of any groaning.

I would also add that I was utterly gobsmacked at the state of the discs at 19k miles. Instead of the crappy Citroen OEM ones I thought I'm not putting the same rubbish on again just for them to rust away in no time. So I bought a set of Brembos specifically for this vehicle and what a difference. Bought matching pads and they're brilliant. A few months later after the rear shields were installed I looked at the state of those discs and they were worse - huge grooves, pits and rusted to hell. I thought, right, they're coming off right away so bought some Brembos and pads for the rears too.

Note that on the rears, these discs contain the ABS Ring and Wheel Bearing kit - so it's an all in one - but at least you know you've had the bearings replaced at the same time.

I think I got in just in time for the rear wheel shields, as I think there was a time limit on having these done free.
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Juan, when you say you got them done for free, did you mean under warranty?. I ask because mine is doing the same thing though not every time i set off from overnight parking on the drive but most times and our first service is due in March.
2022 Citroën C3 Aircross SUV
Shine Plus • PureTech 130 S&S Automatic in Khaki Grey.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Hi, yes, under warranty.

The Technical Bulletin applies to the C3 Aircross vehicles with mileage of between 600 to 15.5k miles. So I was lucky as I moaned about it at around the latter part of this mileage. The book time is 1.90 hours, plus the plates and requires replacement hub bolts too.

This is the title of the document:

Locking of the rear wheels or loud banging noise in the rear axle when first moving off after a long period stationary

"After driving on a snow-covered road and a long period stationary, with or without the parking brake applied; after driving in rain and a long period stationary, with or without the parking brake applied".
Alex Mac

Post by Alex Mac »

Hello, Can you please provide any pics or parts numbers? I am interested on solving this issue on my car too. I understood it is a splash shield kit but unfortunately i cant find any parts number Thanks in advance.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Ok so these are not listed on replacement parts as they were never fitted as standard kit. You can get them from places like Autodoc too, just make sure that the part number is identical under the the OEM equivalent parts. Prices vary considerably, which I suspect will be down to the material and quality. These will be very susceptible to the elements, so bear that in mind.

The plates are part 1606233780 (each).

I can't help with the hub carrier bolts (1) as these are model-specific.

c3 ac plates.PNG

Basically:

Remove the rear wheels
Uncouple the parking brake cables.
Disconnect the connectors of the wheel speed sensors (2) (Connector side).

Remove:
  • The rear hub carrier bolts (1)
  • The rear hub carriers
Fit the brake disc plates.

Refit
  • The rear hub carriers
  • The rear hub carrier bolts (1)
Reconnect the connectors of the wheel speed sensors (2) (Connector side).
Couple the parking brake cables.
Refit the rear wheels.
Alex Mac

Post by Alex Mac »

Great. I am much appreciated for your help. I will order the from my local supplier and give it a try. I will let you know how it ended up. Thanks