Recall Notification - Confusion!

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
TioTel

Post by TioTel »

Just an update. Last December 'My Citroen' app notified me of a recall on my 18 plate petrol C3 Aircross, but not why? I called the local dealer and they checked and they couldn't find a recall against my reg number. Not happy I checked with The Motorombudsman/recalls website and using the VIN and a recall was shown as outstanding, but again not why. I emailed Citroen with this info and for clarification and got a quick reply from Customer Services to say there isn't a recall on my car and it was probably a glitch in the system?
Yesterday an MoT was carried by my local dealership, who then advised that there is an outstanding recall dealing with a cambelt issue and the parts are on order. I'm pleased that I chose to have the MoT done by the dealer, or I might not ever have known of the issue until the engine might goes bang! If you do get a recall do check, check and check, engines lashed together by a rubber band are expensive to replace!!

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It's to do with the well-known issue of the original timing belts shredding and causing oil blockages (belt in oil system), The strainer gets blocked and oil starvation occurs, leading to loss of braking power and ultimately oil pressure warnings. They'll probably fit the new revised belt, but make sure you always use the correct oil on these 3 cylinder petrol engines as it directly affects the belt.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Took mine in today. They said it needed a new belt but it will be several weeks till they can get one. Bit of a demand for them just seems.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

I'd limit driving if possible until it's replaced. If it has started braking up, then you want to reduce debris getting into the oil lubrication system.
TorbayC3A

Post by TorbayC3A »

I also have a 2018 petrol C3 Aircross and on checking found my vehicle listed for recall. I contacted my dealership today to book it in and they advised 1st step was to check width of belt? It's booked in for Wednesday next week, should take only half hour they say. Just wondering have others had this check before they were told new belt was required or did their dealership advise replacing anyway. Just worried they'll say not needed, clear recall notice and I'll have issues down the line. Thanks.
2018 C3 Aircross Flair, Petrol, EAT6.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

As the belt can be seen from the top quite easily, it's the first tell-tale sign of a problem if the width of the belt is too small as it would indicate shavings and wear. So they may be checking that first to see if has the later style belt fitted, in which case they may not need to action it at present. It should be checked though at servicing / 6k miles or so to make sure it is in good nick.
Alex Mac

Post by Alex Mac »

I took mine two weeks ago to the local dealer. No idea what have they done or checked. After insisting a little, they told me that was something about engine management software... Hard to get any info from the dealer. Anyway, i replaced my timing kit along with a new water pump last christmas break. The car was at 93.000 Km aprox. Just for prevention, I removed the oil pan, etc, etc. All clean. Maybe because i drive a LOT in city , I replace the engine oil and filter every 6 months or so ( approx. 5000 km) Spark plugs, every 10 000 km along with air filter. I also replace the clutch on that christmas break. So after this so called recall, i noted that the engine runs a LOT smother!!!!!
I forgot to mention that German brand dealers here are not friendly enough to let you know what they are doing. Mostly because I am a mechanic here too and I was the one replacing the timing belt...
TorbayC3A

Post by TorbayC3A »

Mine went in on Wednesday, they said they'd check belt and do a software update, no info on what software update was for. They also wanted to know my average milage? They advised check found no issues but I wonder, is that because my average mileage is low? Maybe I'm just suspicious, but have they decided that with my low mileage the belt will last until it's due for replacement at new scheduled interval which will obviously be at cost to me? Seems a shame they can't just be transparent about it.
2018 C3 Aircross Flair, Petrol, EAT6.
Alex Mac

Post by Alex Mac »

As far as i found on workshops management software and parts, There is new information for us (Indie workshops) : The belt is schedule to be replaced at a maximum of 100.000 Km or 5 years. That is the reason i took no chances and replaced it. The previous schedules showing up where: 180.000 km / 10 years, Then 150.000 Km / 6 years and now 100.000 km/ 5 years. Also: Engine oil 0w30 PSA B71 2312 Total ineo First EVERY 10.000 Km or 6 months on Severe driving conditions . 10.000 Km or 12 months on normal conditions Spark plugs also Decreased the mileage for replacement, from 50.000 km to 30.000 km. Obviously, at the costumer charge... When the costumer collects the vehicle after this "Recall" he (or she) needs to sign a document stating that he become aware of the new scheduled maintenance... At least in the German market. Yesterday, i spoke to a technician who works locally with Opel about the PSA engines on their fleet of new vehicles, and he told me that they are doing the same for the EB2 Engines.
JestersTear1

Post by JestersTear1 »

Where do you check.if your vehicle is affected and needs remediation?