windscreen demisting

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
putlog

Post by putlog »

Hi everyone, I have 2022 ( facelift ) c3 aircross 1.2 auto. Maybe I'm just being a bit thick but what is everyones preferred setting on the heater/aircon screen for windscreen demisting. I find if I have heating on with no a/c the screen mists up. I have tried a lot of settings ie : high temp , low temp, a/c on a/c off auto on, auto off . I just want comfy temp and a clear screen.
Cheers Ray

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

You really should leave the Climate control (assuming you have this option) on AUTO. I believe at present there is a problem / bug, where the default setting will revert back to 21 °C each time the car is started. I believe there is a software fix being written for this. But normally, set your desired temperature, ensure all the vents are open and directed as appropriate and then leave it on AUTO. The climate control will do the rest.

If you need quick windscreen demisting, just press the hard demisting button under the touchscreen and it will maximise airflow to the windscreen with A/C on to clear it. Press the button again to revert to the previous settings.

The A/C really should be left on as it maintains the seals in the system. Non-operation can cause the seals to perish, resulting in leaks and expensive repairs.

The other options you have is the speed at which the system diffuses the air, you can choose from 3 settings, so soft if you want a gentle air flow under normal driving conditions which keeps the fan speed noise and air flow rate down, Normal, or Fast if you want more of an effect and don't mind a noisier fan.
jaycr123

Post by jaycr123 »

Coincidentally I had that very same problem today whilst driving on the motorway in the rain. I had everything on AUTO but the screen was misting up quite badly. I did keep using the hard demist button which cleared it but when I switched it off it quickly misted up again. I finished up by keeping the hard demist button on all the time for the last 3 hours of my journey. Don't know whether that's advisable or not. Juan, I'm slightly confused as to whether the A/C should be on all the time or not. Should it not therefore come on as part of the AUTO settings, rather than having to physically turn it on every time you get in the car? I find the whole heating/cooling/ventilation quite confusing on the car. I have the same model as Ray (above) and any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks, Jim
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

If your car is the same as all the other Citroens I have owned, you should not have to turn the a/c off every time. when you originally set Auto, the a/c will start, but if you turn it off the system remembers and a/c doesn't start untill you turn it off again. The only car I know of where the a/c comes on every time is my daughter's Captur. There is another thread about a/c settings not saving, and I wonder whether there has been a change to the logic thathas not been communicated to Citroen agents.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

jaycr123 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:32 pm Coincidentally I had that very same problem today whilst driving on the motorway in the rain. I had everything on AUTO but the screen was misting up quite badly. I did keep using the hard demist button which cleared it but when I switched it off it quickly misted up again. I finished up by keeping the hard demist button on all the time for the last 3 hours of my journey. Don't know whether that's advisable or not. Juan, I'm slightly confused as to whether the A/C should be on all the time or not. Should it not therefore come on as part of the AUTO settings, rather than having to physically turn it on every time you get in the car? I find the whole heating/cooling/ventilation quite confusing on the car. I have the same model as Ray (above) and any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim

To start with I really need to know which system you have (Single Air Conditioning or Automatic Air Conditioning) as they have different functionality. PM me with your VIN and I can advise if you are not sure.

One difference being some of the options I mentioned in my last post.

Assuming you have Automatic Air Conditioning:-

ac screen.PNG

• Make sure you have '5' on the picture above set to AUTO. Press the AUTO until there is a line above it.
  • Then Press item '7' OPTIONS to go into the next screen, where you can select the mode Soft, Normal or Fast for the air flow whilst the unit is operating in AUTO mode.
The only other thing you need to do is ensure all your vents are pointed where they should be for optimum demisting - towards the side windows.

In this mode everything is automatically corrected with the cabin temperature, the air distribution and air flow optimised for the selected temperature.

Only operate the DEMIST hard button when needed - and this is usually only needed in the winter to help defrost the windscreen, or where there is a lot of condensation that has accumulated in the vehicle (usually as a result of people in the car without the engine running or windows open for example.

If you manually alter any settings for the air speed or distribution, then of course the system is overridden. I leave mine on AUTO all the time and only change the desired temperature. I have never had an issue with any misting whilst driving at all.
the2ems

Post by the2ems »

It also makes a difference if you have people in the car talking.
Last edited by the2ems on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

My 2020 C3 Aircross Flair has auto Aircon.
I leave it set at 21c. It's set in AUTO but the Aircon is off. I turn it ON once a month for 30mins to preserve the seals. I use it when I require it.
Last night the interior misted up so I selected the hard demist button which turns on the Aircon and directs the air to the screen. Once demised deselected.
One thing I would suggest is that the original poster checks the drains at each end of the scuttle which is the area where the wiper motor is. These get blocked by leaves and water enters the pollen filter and ends up inside the car producing condensation.
Check and change the pollen filter element.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
jaycr123

Post by jaycr123 »

Juan, thanks for your response and advice. You're correct in assuming I have the Automatic A/C version so I've taken your advice and am using your recommended settings. Hopefully that'll take care of the de-misting problem. If and when the "retaining settings" bug is fixed it'll sort out the inconvenience of having to turn the A/C on every time you start/restart the car. Many thanks again for your response. You're extremely helpful with your input in this forum.
putlog

Post by putlog »

thanks from me too Juan. I have the auto system as well but luckily not the "retaining settings " problem I too have used your settings and will see how it goes. On a lighter note I absolutely love the car.
cheers Ray
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No problemo chaps. ;)