Hybrid battery range

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

I totally agree with you and said the same to the Dealer, I also suggested that it makes a bit of a mockery on the vehicle emissions.

Regarding my previous post on the 4th November. As recommended by the service department I fully charged the vehicle overnight and unsurprisingly it gave me a range of 21 miles. I set off on a planned longer trip with a mixture of town/city driving followed by some motorway miles and it managed 25 miles hybrid before the motor kicked in. I have now completed a few more trips, not exceeding 35 miles, when the battery has been depleted causing the system of go fully into hybrid (mixture of battery and engine) and the range meter on the dash is now recording 26 miles after charging. This seems to be in line with what the technical department said regarding the vehicle range and that the system updates over a 70km cycle

I intend to complete a few more planned trips away over the coming weeks some of which will require an overnight stay this should give me further information on its overall mpg as well as seeing if the range will increase with use before deciding to follow the official complaint route. Perhaps other s would want to try and see if it makes a difference to their range?

AndyV

Post by AndyV »

Hi all
I recently purchased a 1yr old ex-demo C5 hybrid. On collection the battery was showing 19 miles range. I didn't think too much of it - the vehicle also had next to no petrol in it. The first couple of weeks I had the car I was pretty much only using it to drive between London and Leicester, so I'd get out of London and a distance up the motorway on hybrid before running out of battery. I started playing around with battery saver to make sure I had a little battery left for when I was back in an urban environment and this all works well. What I did however notice was that when charging an empty or near-empty battery, the 'full battery' range never exceeded 19 miles. So I called the dealer and was given the same waffle about range averaging and range memory, and I needed to do shorter journeys and make sure I was always using regenerative braking mode (which I had not been). So then coincidentally for the last week I have been driving daily in London to a place about 10 miles from my home... and I can *just* make a round trip on battery only. On full charge the range still reports 19 miles only as available, and I figure I'm getting 20 to 21 miles with the extra that the brakes are putting back in the system. I am in the process of trying to escalate the conversation with the dealer I bought the car from but to suggest they are unresponsive and disinterested would be something of an understatement. Happy to update when I know more if anyone is interested...
Tripods

Post by Tripods »

My range has now dropped to 18 miles it has been like that for a month vehicle now has covered over 1100 miles, I charge it every day and drive in hybrid mode only as instructed by the dealer, I have to charge every day as the 18 mile range just gets me to work and back, vehicle has had a 250 mile round trip with a fully charged battery, when recharged vehicle still only has an 18 mile range. Still waiting for my dealer to get the vehicle in to check it over, when I had the conversation regarding the mileage, the service department said that was acceptable and what they would expect, my reply was well I think I’ve been missold this vehicle. Service dept didn’t know what to say
OngarWoody

Post by OngarWoody »

I have had my Hybrid a week now. The weather has been mild which helps the battery.
On a full charge it states that I have 29 miles. I even had 26 miles at one stage.
I pre-heat the car in the morning using the Citroen app and I have been getting around 28 miles on electric. I am sure that will change once the weather starts to turn colder.
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

I have now completed a few journeys when I have depleted the battery and the engine has kicked in this is a break from my normal journeys which tend to be local and on some days not even completed 10 miles and not charged the battery overnight. This has had an effect of increased battery range, although not to the level that Citroen state. The range did increase to 24 miles and actually maxed out at 26 before the engine kicked in so I would recommend giving it a try to see if the range increases. I still don’t think it’s acceptable for them to sale a vehicle when the range is so far out I can understand a 10% difference. I will run the vehicle for a few more weeks and record my findings and will then consider a formal complaint to Citroen customer services as recommended by my dealer.
Citroen33

Post by Citroen33 »

I have finally found the information that answers this range problem. I’ve had my Hybrid for 2 weeks and the full charge range has gone 28,23,19 and today 13 miles. On the Citroen. Co.uk site is a table where you can input driving style, speed and external temperature, Basically if you do city driving such that you average 10mph and 20 degrees you get 29 miles. At 10 degrees only 19 miles and at 0 degrees 15 miles. Driving at 20mph avg gives much more range. The table is tucked right at the bottom of this page. https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/c5-air ... ybrid.html
]

3D259B46-A370-4955-BCA7-37EACA99CAE0.jpeg

Andyb

Post by Andyb »

Hi Citroen 33, I found that a few weeks ago when I was looking for further information on range issues, see my other posts, even if you input the best possible modes you will still not get the range that Citroen are selling the vehicle on the best range that I can achieve with a fully charged battery with air con off and driving to the best economical style using the eco monitor on the dash is 24 miles. That’s still 10 miles under the Citroen claimed range. Really regretting I purchased this vehicle?
OngarWoody

Post by OngarWoody »

From my perspective, it is disappointing that you lose significant miles in the cold but I do the school run every day and kids football at the weekend so when I add it up I am probably doing 6,000 miles a year on pure electric. I often find that I get more mileage than what it indicates.
I have definitely noticed much better fuel consumption in Hybrid mode but I agree that while I really like the car, I would look for something that gives more battery life next time.
Jubbo

Post by Jubbo »

This is the biggest disappointment I have ever had with a car. My range was at the 34 miles when i bought the car and i could even get 40miles if i drove sensibly. This fitted my usual range of everyday driving so over 80% of my journeys could be covered by the battery. I have had the car six months and for the past 2 months my range is down to 19 miles on a fully charged battery. I am doing the same journeys and until very recently there hasn't been much change in the weather. That is a reduction in range of 44%!!! Imagine other products reducing their output by 44% in the course of normal use. It's a joke that this can be just passed back to the consumer and explained away as just normal performance. Added to that I had an issue for 2 months with an intermittent fault where the car would not drive in electric mode - I don't blame the people in the dealership - but the service i got was shocking - very little information - taking my car back and forth - finally they held on to it for 2 weeks while they replaced some parts. A total disappointment.
JW150

Post by JW150 »

Mine is currently only giving around 16-18 miles when fully charged, however all our journeys recently have been below the 15 minute mark, which is likely contributing to the low 'range'.
Oh and I've had it two months - it was the ex-demonstration model which I purchased with 2,000 miles on the clock. Starting to feel like a mistake if I'm honest.