Tyre pressure monitoring

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Can anyone tell me if the tyre pressure monitoring facility in the C3 Aircross 2018 is of any use whatsoever?

I set mine up a couple of months ago during a really hot spell of weather after checking my tyre pressures were set correctly.
I noticed today that my front nearside tyre was looking a bit soft, so checked the pressure with my inflating pump and found that the tyre was indeed low in pressure by about 0.5 bar. (Should be 2.3 bar)
I then checked all my tyres and they were all low by approx the same amount.
There was no warning indication on my display, so what use is the facility if it doesn't work?

Yet another so called 'improvement' to the driving experience..........NOT!

schmoo2k

Post by schmoo2k »

I believe the way they work is based on average rotations, so if one wheel starts to do more (or less?) rotations, it would indicate that the pressure has changed. If all wheels were slowly deflating by the same amount, it wouldn't notice...
'
2020 C5 Aircross - 1.5 BLUEHDI 130 S&S EAT8
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Scmoo2K is correct. A tyre which has lost pressure will rotate faster than the others, but if they are all low they will all rotate faster. The system does not actually record pressure, and does not obviate the need to check the tyres at regular intervals. I can condfirm that the system works as I've had warnings on 2 different cars, and you actually need to lose about 0.5 bar, 7-8 psi before the system gives a warning. It will not give you much, if any warning if you have a rapid deflation, and it will not give an immediate alarm if a tyre is flat after sitting for some time. The system is a simple one as it piggybacks on the abs system, other systems that give pressure readings due to sensors in the wheels are expensive, cause issues when changing tyres and are expensive tofix if they go wrong.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

routemaster1 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:40 pm Schmoo2K is correct. A tyre which has lost pressure will rotate faster than the others, but if they are all low they will all rotate faster. The system does not actually record pressure, and does not obviate the need to check the tyres at regular intervals. I can condfirm that the system works as I've had warnings on 2 different cars, and you actually need to lose about 0.5 bar, 7-8 psi before the system gives a warning. It will not give you much, if any warning if you have a rapid deflation, and it will not give an immediate alarm if a tyre is flat after sitting for some time. The system is a simple one as it piggybacks on the abs system, other systems that give pressure readings due to sensors in the wheels are expensive, cause issues when changing tyres and are expensive tofix if they go wrong.