C5 - 1.2 or 1.5?

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
MJA

Post by MJA »

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a C5 as family car. I usually keep my cars for a long time so these new cars with small engines are new to me. I am attracted to petrol as my journeys are - school run (3-6 miles) and driving around my rural area. I do the odd long distance motorway trip and suspect I will average 6-8k per annum.

1.2 auto seems to fit the bill but how is that engine coping with 4 people, dog, luggaage etc? I suspect it will cruise fine on the motorway but will it be a case of having to have you foot on the floor to keep it going? I remeber having a 1.0 3 cyclinder Corsa as my first car and that needed to be thrashed!

I've been thinking about the 1.5 because of this as well but know my mileage is low for DPFs. Although I have had no issues on my current tdi.

My current car is 2.0 170ps TDI.

Thanks,

schmoo2k

Post by schmoo2k »

I suspect you will find it 100% fine as the auto box has 8 gears (with effectively a double clutch mechanism), so it will do the hard work of making sure the engine is in the sweet spot.

I had a rental Peugeot with a manual "small" engine before I bought my C5 Auto (1.5 Diesel) and didn't notice it was only a 1.2 until afterwards (which at the time I thought was surprising)...
2020 C5 Aircross - 1.5 BLUEHDI 130 S&S EAT8
srperry

Post by srperry »

You will find that the 130 Puretech engine is more than enough. Mine is a manual gearbox 6 speed, I average 40mpg across all my driving (almost 16,000 miles so far from new), and it has more than enough power to cope even fully laden with 5 people and luggage. Performance-wise it is as good as my old 2.5 litre V6 Rover 75 auto was, and more economical.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

I'm not sure it's a question of which performs best, it's a question of whether petrol or diesel is a good choice for the future. I have been a diesel fan for a long time. In the mid 2000s diesel was the way to go and the government were pointing in that direction. Now to many diesel is a poor environmental choice. Petrol is poorer because carbon dioxide emissions are higher, but on the other hand particulates and nitrogen oxides are an issue for diesel. This has been mitigated to a degree by DPF and Adblue, but the systems are costly and are rather prone to give issues, as well as increasing the complexity and cost of the cars. So when our 1.6HDi C3 was written off, we decided to go petrol and bought a 100bhp petrol C3, which is plenty powerful enough. The only issue is that the 6 speed gearbox is over-geared in 6th, so it's fine on the flat but is lacking diesel grunt up hills. Our C4 Picasso 2.0HDi is going soon. and much as I would like to buy a new diesel, i really cannot justify it, so the new car will be petrol. If you are looking for new cars, some manufacturers like Seat are phasing diesel out.
MJA

Post by MJA »

Cheers guys, I think the 1.2 is probably the answer. I fancy the 8 speed auto on this car. I do have other "modern classics" with larger capacity engines for those times when I need the urge :)