C3 Aircross Towbar

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Does anyone have the factory fitted tow-bar on their C3 Aircross?
I have my Aircross on PCP and was anticipating fitting a detachable tow-bar to take my Thule bike carrier.
Due to my ignorance, I was unaware of the implications at the end of the agreement that if I wanted to return the vehicle, it has to be returned without any changes or I can be liable for any costs involved to put it back to original spec.
I just wondered if the factory tow bar has a non visible cutout on the trim to take the bar? The bar I was anticipating fitting requires a non visible 80mmx80mm cutout.
I must admit if I'd known about these PCP pitfalls I wouldn't have gone this route, I had the same tow bar fitted to my DS3 with the same cutout which was impossible to see unless you crawled underneath the car.
C3 Aircross Flair 130BHP manual - Breathing Blue

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

I wouldn't have thought that fitting a tow bar would be a problem. I would think that they refer to modifications that are to the detriment of the vehicle, like non standard add on trims or gluing tiger print velour to the dashboard. If you fit a tow bar the dealer can still sell the car and also ask more for it because of the add on (you potentially should also get a bit more for it)

My advise is to phone the PCP company and clarify the clause, explain the tow bar. I'm sure it'll be okay.

I had to call my PCP people a few years ago because I was going to go substantially over the allocated yearly mileage and they were like "yeah don't worry about it we're not going to charge you extra". Obviously I asked for it in writing and to be noted in my file.
Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Hi Adrian, thank you for your response, I did contact the PCP Company (PCA) some weeks ago, they finally contacted me today and were not particularly helpful! They just said that the vehicle must be returned without any changes or modifications and that the trim would have to be put back as it was!
In other words I’m wide open to being caught with a penalty, if I was sure of keeping the car at the end of the agreement it wouldn’t be an issue.
AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

Well they seem like a bunch of twits. Have you spoken to the dealer / sales chap you dealt with on the purchase? Perhaps they have a more positive view or could speak to the PCP company on your behalf. Have to admit I wouldn't even think of asking if it was me so its a bit of a wake up call but I wonder if its PCA or a new employee.

Just remembering many years ago I had a Toyota RAV 4 on PCP finance and I got the dealer I got it from to add on running boards and a different aerial about 2 years into the agreement. They nor I ever mentioned the PCP thing when they were purchased or when I gave it back after 3 or 4 years. They just sold it on to someone as used and would have definitely increased the price slightly for having them fitted.
Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Hi Adrian, I have since spoken to the dealer and still have got no further! He said that if I was trading it in they wouldn’t care, but he said PCA finance send a third party company round to see the vehicle and that they spend about an hour going over it to check for any changes. My dealership said they could buy the car from me, but this is all dependent on what they offer?
Looks as though my bike carrier will be going on eBay😢