Touch Screen Software Updates

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
grahams

Post by grahams »

Just successfully loaded latest touch screen firmware followed by map updates.

Slightly tricky! I run an iMac. Following the instructions and downloaded the compressed files then unzipped the touch screen firmware and licence onto FAT32 USB 3 memory stick. Unfortunately touch screen would not 'see' the files. Fired up a Win 10 computer, downloaded, unzipped and copied to same USB stick - Screen firmware updated. Did same with Map update - success.
When I have the time and patience will try to work out why download and unzip via iMac didn't work.

Must say My Citroen firmware and map update instructions very useful for Windows computers.

Bit of a pain and petrol waste having to turn off stop/start and leave the engine running whilst the screen and map updates - about 40 mins & 60 mins respectively.

Touch screen update seems to have fixed the problem of only partial copying my iPhone contacts. So far have not found any other changes to the way the screen works - but early days.

After the updates I went into My Citroen - it told me my software was up to date. Spooky - what else is the car sending to Citroen?

Jay R

Post by Jay R »

How did you know it needed doing? Just got mine today so I don't know if I have the latest update or not.
Last edited by Jay R on Mon May 14, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Never mind. Got it. 4Gb update !!!!!
Last edited by Jay R on Mon May 14, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Ok, this is IMPORTANT if you want to update. Update is just over 4Gb. This means that, no matter how large your memory stick is, if it's set to FAT32 file structure, it won't work. FAT32 structure won't do over 4Gb files. Put your memory stick into your computer and re-format it to NTFS file structure. That can handle larger files.
Don't do what I did and download the update directly onto the memory stick for an hour only to have it fail 20 seconds from the end because it was too big a file.
And remember, formatting the usb stick wipes everything off it so make sure it's not your beloved family pics backup stick.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Or not.... It didn't work.

I got a download file of 4.2Gb that ends in .tar Plugged it into the usb port and the car didn't do anything. Had the 'key' on the stick as well.
grahams

Post by grahams »

Hi,
You will need to unzip the.tag files. The unzipped software updates are SWL files - no other format allowed. You cannot have two folders with the same name on the same USB stick, therefore updates have to be performed in two separate operations if you want to update the maps as well. Use a USB3 memory stick.

The instructions provided by My Citroen on how to update, I think, are pretty good and worked for me. The link to the instructions is under the My Citroen Shop firmware/ software download links.

Graham
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Thanks but I'm having no luck. I used the app on my phone and it sent me an email with links to the software. I downloaded this and it saved as .tar files. The instructions that came with it said "download and transfer to memory stick" which I did and the car won't use it. If the .tar file is zipped, I can't do anything with it as my Windows 10 computer won't see it as a zipped file and won't give me the option to extract it as I would usually get with zipped files.
Logging onto mycitroen-uk.citroen.com I see nowhere to get software updates at all. Even in the 'Citroen shop' it's all just merchandising.
I don't have maps, it's just the touchscreen software I am trying to update.

Any suggestions ?
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

I managed to unzip the files but still no luck. "USB key not compatible with this car." Tried different memory sticks, different file systems on those sticks, nothing. I give up.
AlBaker

Post by AlBaker »

Successfully updated my C3aircross touchscreen firmware and maps.
So, I followed the instructions in this link.
https://citroen-uk-en.custhelp.com/app/ ... nstruction

Key points for me.
1. Make sure you use a usb3 memory stick (its faster), format it (I used a sandisk ultra flair 32GB, formatted Fat32 (default 16k)
2. Extract the files to the USB stick, and add the license file under the folder SWL
3. When you plug it in, ignore the first message saying invalid media, press NAV and wait.
4. It took 30min to complete, yes with the engine running, and sitting in the car, (well it did not notice, when I went inside with keys and refilled my coffee)
5. Then go back and do the MAP software, reformat usb3 memory stick, extract software to the usb3 memory stick, get a larger cup of coffee !
6. repeat step 2, and it takes longer 40min for me.

Hope it helps.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Thanks but that's no good for me. I don't have navigation. I'm just trying to update the touchscreen firmware as my Citroen App keeps telling me to. That link won't even accept my VIN number ( Probably because the page is NAV specific.).
Used usb3 stick (128Gb) along with all the other sticks I have. Nothing. Say's the usb isn't compatible, though I then loaded photos and music onto it and it was happy to read those off the stick.