Updating Touchscreen Using iMac

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
manicfoto

Post by manicfoto »

I had weeks of fruitless discussion with both Citroen Customer Services and my supplying dealer as to why my C3 Aircross always gave an error 'Map Update Failed' when trying to update the Citroen Connect maps. The error message was completely useless and gave no hint as to the issue. Customer Services even told me that my USB stick was too big! What was even more confusing was that the Touchscreen firmware update worked fine but the maps update always gave the error.

I eventually borrowed a Windows machine and used that to create a 16Gb USB3 stick, after which the map update worked first time.

As I am entirely Apple based and have no Windows devices I needed a solution which does not require a Windows device.
I finally discovered the solution to creating an update USB stick on an Apple iMac computer. I used a HyperX 256Gb USB3 stick for this as it is very much faster when writing from the iMac, although reading in the car is about the same speed.
The process simply involved extracting the SWL folder to the iMac and copying it on to the USB3 stick (which needs to be at least 16Gb and formatted as FAT32) as per the Citroen online instructions, and then using a free app from the Mac App Store called Clean My Drive 2 to optimise the USB stick, as it appears that Apple add some additional files as part of the tar file extraction process which appear to have caused the issue.
After this the maps successfully updated in the car with no issues in about 45 minutes.

Hopefully this information will help other Apple users update their Touchscreens without needing to waste time and effort contacting Customer Services or their dealer :lol:

We'll see if this still works when the next update is released in Sept/Oct time!

grahams

Post by grahams »

Great advice and solution manicfoto,
I'm an Apple user too and had issues updating earlier maps and screen software. Like you borrowed a Windows Machine to unzip and copy to a USB 3 stick to update map and screen.
Latest map update arrived a few days ago. Following your advice I downloaded Clean My Drive 2 to my Mac to optimise the USB 3 stick. Worked a treat and map updated after about 45mins.
Many thanks.
Greer1958

Post by Greer1958 »

I have tried this numerous times without success, I keep getting a message on touchscreen no media on USB? am I missing a step, would be very grateful for any help/suggestions thanks in advance
Big_Hawk

Post by Big_Hawk »

Greer 1958, I've just read your post and hopefully may be able to offer a smidgen of comfort... I'll quote from a download page I have on the subject of downloading and updating in-car mapping using an iMac, It reads:

"Plug the USB into the car's USB socket. An initial message is displayed saying 'No multimedia content on the USB stick' . "Ignore this message and do not remove the USB stick. The message will disappear after ten seconds and be replaced by a message which says ' Update present on the medium will require at least one restart'. Continue?' "

From that point on, I would imagine it's just a case of following the on-screen instructions whereby you should be well on your way to a successful update. I've yet to go through this process myself, so I'll be interested to know how you get on. Best wishes.
Greer1958

Post by Greer1958 »

Bless your heart Big_Hawk, I must admit usb was snatched with some venom when the message appeared. Will try your solution thanks for your time and help
Greer1958

Post by Greer1958 »

Thanks again Big_Hawk, after owning my car for over two years now it has had its first updates, cannot thank you and Manicfoto enough
Big_Hawk

Post by Big_Hawk »

Greer1958 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:45 pm Thanks again Big_Hawk, after owning my car for over two years now it has had its first updates, cannot thank you and Manicfoto enough
Good afternoon, Greer1958, I'm really pleased it work out all right for you. Only too pleased I could be of some help. Now I really must bite the bullet and do my own update soon. I keep putting it off as I don't relish the idea of keeping the engine running for up to hour in order to install it. Call me old-fashioned. :D
Greer1958

Post by Greer1958 »

Thankfully only a 30 minute update for me :-)
Big_Hawk

Post by Big_Hawk »

Greer1958 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:17 pm Thankfully only a 30 minute update for me :-)
Mine took a little longer than your 30 minutes but at least it was successful, so YIPPEE!! :lol:
Greer1958

Post by Greer1958 »

it sure was, thanks for your help