Diesel particulate filter burning?

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
-VJ-

Post by -VJ- »

How do you know when diesel exhaust filter is regenerating?

Today I drove very short periodical driving (from letterbox to another) drivers window open. Suddenly I noticed loud low frequency rumbling from exhaust tube, I thought that I have silencer break. Also start-stop doesn’t activate. Loud noise and continuous idling when stop lasts less than 10 minutes. Maybe car was regenerating it’s carbon filter? C3 Aircross HDI 100.

In my older C5 only sign of filter regeneration is the smell of burning rubber.
C3 Aircross Shine 1,5 BlueHDI 100 "Pull me over red", Tornio, Finland

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

You can tell if the instantaneous fuel consumption figure has got substantially worse. You are unlikely to be able to smell a regen after the first few regens. There was a post on the C4 site several years ago where they had added a LED telltale near the driver's mirror.
preventlow

Post by preventlow »

I have a c3a 100 Hdi as well, and the first few times it regenerated it freaked me out, because it sounded like the exhaust system suddenly had holes in it. I've used the Torque- and later FAP Citroen/Peugeot app to confirm that the noise comes from regeneration. And after 34000 km, it still makes the noise.
C3 Aircross Skyline 1.5 Blue HDI 100, Spicy Orange - near Copenhagen, Denmark
-VJ-

Post by -VJ- »

I don't understand why they didn't install any advice light for filter regeneration? When it is on it would be often easy to drive a couple of kilometres more to get it off.

At work I drive MB Sprinter citybus. Only in the city area maximum speed 50 km/h, mostly 30 to 40 km/h. Diesel filter blocking is a real issue. Our serviceman introduced system that we start filter regeneration with Diagbox software and drive 50 km on the highway at full throttle. The bus is limited to 100 km/h but with this procedure the filter opens.
C3 Aircross Shine 1,5 BlueHDI 100 "Pull me over red", Tornio, Finland
preventlow

Post by preventlow »

I assume the reason for the lack of info lights during regeneration is a sort of "no news is good news", meaning you should (engine wise) only be adviced by a light if something is wrong. And the car actually turn on a light if the filter is getting close to clogged because the regeneration repeatedly is being stopped by the driver. That said, during the 600000+ km I've driven in my old Xsara and regular C3 HDi, I never noticed the regeneration process. In the C3 Aircross, however, even my passengers notice.
C3 Aircross Skyline 1.5 Blue HDI 100, Spicy Orange - near Copenhagen, Denmark