How to adept headlights when going abroad C3 Aircross

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
wouternelissen

Post by wouternelissen »

Hi,

In two weeks time I'll be going to Britain from the continent. I used tape on the headlights of my C3 Picasso to prevent blinding other cars. Did anyone go abroad and blinded his or her headlights? I'll just have to mirror it.......

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

You do not require to put any tape or benders on the headlights. The only requirement is 'not to dazzle. Most designs of modern headlights do not have the 'kick up' on the nearside. The simple thing to do is to lower the beams using the adjuster. Most of the time you only need your lights to be seen, not to see. And to finish, a question. Have you ever seen a European registered car in the UK with anything on their headlights?

EDIT: Apologies. I didn't realise that you were from the Netherlands coming to Britain, so you are one of the very few who worry about your lights. But the first part still applies.
TrisNez

Post by TrisNez »

I went to Britain a few times with a C4 Cactus.
Usually I bought the stickers on the ferry and applied them when I arrived at the holiday park.
I didn't want to take the risk of blinding other drivers and cause an unsafe situation.
Never noticed an option to change the lighting setting.
Haven't found such a setting on the C3 AIrcross either ( which I haven't driven to the UK yet).

To be perfectly honest, I didn't drive in the dark.
I made it a point to be back 'home' before sunset.
I'm not used to driving on the left, the roundabouts are a b*tch, and I didn't want to be more annoying than absolutely necessary.

Some tips:
- Go with the flow, you'll find out soon enough how things are done. When driving off the ferry it al feels pretty obvious how to drive and behave.
- Check the mergers from the left.
- Watch the road, literally. The arrows on it shows which lane to take. In my opinion those arrows are clearer than the sign next to the road or satnav.
- Be careful on roundabouts. Check and double check mirrors.
- Look out for bikes from the right when turning left; one delivery guy in Bournemouth must still hate me (thought I didn't hit him it was a close one).
- In the Netherlands the speedlimit is often seen as an advised speed, mandatory speed or minimum speed. In the UK it's actually the maximum speed.
- Watch for difference between kph and mph in your car, while using (kilo)meters on your satnav. It doens't make any sense that the next exit is in 1250 yards en 300 feet.
Burnt to the core but not broken
wouternelissen

Post by wouternelissen »

routemaster1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 pm You do not require to put any tape or benders on the headlights. The only requirement is 'not to dazzle. Most designs of modern headlights do not have the 'kick up' on the nearside. The simple thing to do is to lower the beams using the adjuster. Most of the time you only need your lights to be seen, not to see. And to finish, a question. Have you ever seen a European registered car in the UK with anything on their headlights?

EDIT: Apologies. I didn't realise that you were from the Netherlands coming to Britain, so you are one of the very few who worry about your lights. But the first part still applies.
Unfortunately this is not true. The Dutch AA (ANWB) does discourage to lower the headbeams, you compromise the general view. They recommend to tape about 1/6th of the headlights, which was not too difficult with my C3 Picasso. The combined headlight unit of the C3 Aircross is more challenging. And the lights do have a 'kick up' on the right side.....I just have to try something.......

I don't like the stickers they sell on for instance the ferry: the glue will never leave your headlights. Apart from that I am a regular visitor of the UK and these stickers are far too expensive!

Afb085.jpg

Afb084.jpg

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

wouternelissen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm
routemaster1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 pm You do not require to put any tape or benders on the headlights. The only requirement is 'not to dazzle. Most designs of modern headlights do not have the 'kick up' on the nearside. The simple thing to do is to lower the beams using the adjuster. Most of the time you only need your lights to be seen, not to see. And to finish, a question. Have you ever seen a European registered car in the UK with anything on their headlights?

Unfortunately this is not true. The Dutch AA (ANWB) does discourage to lower the headbeams, you compromise the general view. They recommend to tape about 1/6th of the headlights, which was not too difficult with my C3 Picasso. The combined headlight unit of the C3 Aircross is more challenging. And the lights do have a 'kick up' on the right side.....I just have to try something.......

I don't like the stickers they sell on for instance the ferry: the glue will never leave your headlights. Apart from that I am a regular visitor of the UK and these stickers are far too expensive!

Afb085.jpgAfb084.jpg
This is the quote from the AA site where I found the info.

The legal requirement is to ‘not dazzle oncoming drivers’ rather than specifically to adjust/convert the
headlamp beam pattern. Without adjustment the dipped beam will dazzle oncoming drivers and this
could result in a fine. Headlamp beam converter kits are widely available but may not be suitable for
all types of headlights. The AA shop sell beam converters suitable for all vehicles and fitting diagrams
are included for the latest ‘clear glass’, ‘projector and xenon’ headlamps inside the packaging. In some
countries it is compulsory to use dipped headlights at all times when driving during the day. Note: this
adjustment is not required for two wheeled vehicles as the beam pattern is more symmetrical but
check that any extra loading has not affected the beam height. On some cars it is inadvisable or
impossible for anyone other than a qualified technician to change a headlamp bulb unit e.g. high
intensity discharge (HID) headlamps and carrying spares is not an option. However, it is recommended
that spare bulbs are carried for any lights that may be easily and/or safely replaced by the
owner/driver. Spare bulbs are compulsory for Croatia.

Note the part about motorcycle beams being more symmetrical. This is also true of more modern car headlights, and has been discussed at length over the last 13 years on the C4 forum.

So if anyone wishes to reduce there light output, that's OK. To give a very crude analogy, it's like being told you will be prosecuted for speeding because your car is capable of exceeding the speed limit without actually doing it.