Mycitroen App update

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

srperry wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:18 am If you have the Citroen Emergency button installed they can do that already. Do you really think that they are that bothered about tracking every car they ever build? I think not. They would need a data-centre the size of the UK to store all the data from PSA-built cars around the world, and if they don't store it, what's the point?
Yes but connected services can be turned off if required.

From Citroen's Connected Nav and Connected Services T&Cs:

"Their personal data may be used for the purposes of surveys, analyses, development or within the framework of sales promotions by Citroën its subsidiaries and/or any company offering a service on behalf of Citroën."

Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

How do you know who they share your data with?
Deleted User 830

Basically Groupe PSA and anyone who provides a service on their behalf according to the above.
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Or pays for it, personal data is a valuable commodity.
srperry

Post by srperry »

It doesn't say they WILL share, just that they MAY share. And only to PSA or other companies offering a service ON BEHALF of Citroen - not just anyone who wants to buy the data. And what is the point of having a potentially life-saving attribute fitted to your vehicle if you turn it off? I'll bet your mobile phone is on all the time you're in the car, so your movements are tracked anyway - by either Apple or Google, both of which will sell your data to anyone that's sad enough to want to buy it.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Deleted User 830

The WiFi connectivity can be turned off, but the Emergency SOS system will still work in a crash that triggers the Airbags or when manually making an emergency call.

To fully work, the My Citroen App has to be allowed connectivity to the vehicle, which you can choose not to do. Its this App we’re really talking about not the emergency connecting box.

As for phones, that is down to what you allow in your privacy options. With location services off and settings customised per app, you have pretty good control over most of your data. This is obviously down to the individual to make an informed choice as to what they want.

Why do you think there was is such a migration from WhatsApp to other messaging platforms like Signal and Telegram? Because Zuckerberg’ broke his promises when Facebook bought WhatsApp and decided to change the Privacy agreement that all users had to agree to, so that WhatsApp data could be shared with Facebook and combined.

That went well and wiped about $50 billion of the value of Facebook at one point and caused a panic and a delay with an attempt at damage limitation. When you start allowing bits of data from one App to merge with your data from other social media tools, it becomes more valuable to advertisers and the like who want to know what you are buying, where you buy from, and all the rest of it.

I choose not to use Facebook or Twitter for various reasons, so I’m hardly likely to use My Citroen to track my journeys and use my data. Personal choice - while we still have any!
srperry

Post by srperry »

Thanks for the security lesson - I've been in IT security for 30 years and obviously didn't know any of that! ;)

The problem is that most people do NOT make informed choices with the technology they use daily. For example, do you use cash or plastic when buying fuel? If you use plastic, 'they' have a pretty good idea of where you go, even if your GPS appears to be turned of on your phone. 'They' also know fairly accurately where you travel and when, and perhaps what you do (if anything) when you get there. 'They' can also track your movement by the cell-towers your phone connects to.

As for all those migrating from WhatsApp when the announcement was made, what percentage of those do you think have Alexa, Cortana, Bixby, or Siri running on their phones, Smart TV's, Bluetooth Speakers and Soundbars etc? Probably in the high 80%-90%, and yet one media panic story made them concerned about giving data away? People under the age of 50 and perhaps even older than that have already let that horse bolt, because the technology has become part of them and they can't survive without it. I know some very intelligent people who are oblivious to the dangers of having Microsoft, Apple and Google listening in to every part of their lives, and yes, quit WhatsApp for Signal and Telegram, but what's your point? Every facet of our lives (almost) involves giving away information to someone.

I think we've gone a little of topic here, so I'll stop now! :)
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Deleted User 830

Well you've made your opinion quite clear, and are not the only one with extensive ICT experience (for which I have over 35 years). But the point was that the My Citroen App is no different and that Citroen have your agreement to pass on any data they deem 'necessary' for the operation of their services which includes marketing and the like. So it is a matter as I've always maintained of personal and informed choice of how and whether you use the App or not.

For some people it won't matter one bit - but others may want to limit their online exposure and that is their choice and they should not be criticised for doing so.
srperry

Post by srperry »

You nissed the wink and smiley... I didn't criticise you by the way. Sorry if you took my comments that way, it wasn't intentional.
Deleted User 830

No worries, no offence taken, life's too short. :D