State of roads

The place to discuss everything else..
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

This morning I had to do a run to pick up an item from Chichester. It about 22 mins away.
Set off and was soon in a deluge which with the spray of the other cars reduced visibility. The state of the main roads in West Sussex are to be honest appalling. The A27 tarmac top surface is peeling off in great chunks and the joins between the original concrete slabs are opening up making the road hazardous and noisy. As for the water laying on them that is really bad, drains blocked with debris and lack of maintenance. At one point I thought I was in a river. Yes its rained a lot but general lack of road maintenance over the years is now catching up. The grass edges aren't cut back, trees/hedges cover signs, and the resulting leaf drop blocks the drains.
At this rate there will be no roads left for all the non tax paying electric cars to use.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars

Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

It's the one reason why I've always disagreed with ridiculously low road tax rates for some cars. There should be a minimum amount that everybody has to pay as they all contribute to wrecking the roads; low emissions or emission-free, everyone should pay a certain level.

Seeing as this revenue is supposed to be used exclusively for highway maintenance and with all the extra pot hole' money the government has recently provided, there should be no excuse, but it's hardly surprising if all the Duracell drivers aren't paying their share - disgraceful.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

I'm sorry, 'road tax' is not collected to pay for road maintenance. It was it's original purpose, but that changed years ago. It is actually vehicle excise duty. The sum raise just goes into the general tax pot, and that pot is used to pay for all services. The tax take from vehicles is far greater than required for road maintenance, so it just geos into the general spend.

See this story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

Well, whatever pot it goes into - it was hypothecated to go into roads in England at least:
In the first Budget of the Conservative Government in July 2015 the Chancellor announced a further reform of VED from April 2017, which effectively abolished the graduated system for new cars registered after that date. From the 2020-21 financial year income from VED in England will be hypothecated to a new road fund, to contribute towards the costs of the Strategic Road Network (SRN). In the 2017 Autumn Budget the Chancellor announced new VED rates for the most polluting diesel cars, to take effect in 2018.
As far as the debate went at the time it was acknowledged that the take up of more low polluting vehicles would leave an unsustainable system where hardly anyone would be paying VED so it was changed. So we have a more polluting C3 1.6 HDi for which we pay £30 a year VED (115-118 g/km) and the C3 Aircross with 105 g/km that we pay £150 after the initial £175 rate. I've got no complaints as I expect to fairly contribute to the road maintenance which is atrocious in rural areas.

Regardless of where the tax comes from, as far as I am concerned, I am paying my dues and I expect the roads to be in a decent condition.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Yes, and when the number of fossil fuel cars on our roads reduce I just cannot see the government allowing people to charge their cars for free from their garage either.
Imagine speed control on cars there will be no speeding fines, no accidents with anti collision technology, no respray shops needed, just £10,000 a year tax to rent a battery but even more potholes ;<)
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

I always thought it would be fairer if VED, Road Tax, call it what you will, was abolished, and an extra tax charged on petrol/diesel, then those that used the roads the most paid the most.
Electric vehicles have buggered up that cunning plan.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It would be good if funds were diverted from these moronic 'smart' motorways and spent on maintaining other roads. I emailed Highways England last year, suggesting they send a few workers from the M4 smart motorway works down the road to fix the very poor surface, mainly in the slow lane. They replied, telling me that works are 'planned'. I haven't been there for a while but doubt it's been fixed. In the meantime I'll probably be hogging the middle lane to avoid damaging my car :(
C3 Aircross Flair 1.2 110 Auto with Parking & Family packs & sunroof