Parking Sensors ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems)

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

I managed to get a few minor scratches on my rear bumper, car park rash, and asked a major company for a quote.

Because the scratches are near one of the parking sensors they warned me that I will have to have them re-calibrated by a main dealer!

Does anyone have any experience of getting this carried out?

Cheers

John
C3 Aircross 110BHP Petrol Manual

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No John, that's incorrect on this vehicle. There is no calibration, go to another company if they don't know what they are talking about.

The proximity sensor has a vertical emission zone of an angle of 120° and a horizontal emission zone of an angle of 60°, but they are non-programmable. The bumper locations for the sensors are pre-determined and as long as the sensor fits in the correct place supported by its bracket there will be no problems.

However, The obstacle detection performance is reduced if the bumper has been deformed or displaced, as this can obviously affect the detection zones I described above. So as long as there is no indentation or the bumper is not dislodged, warped or dented you should be ok. If there are just surface scratches, then these can be polished out or just get the bumper replaced.

It's only the screen camera that may need calibrating for the other systems if it is removed (like a windscreen replacement) or the active radar (not the C3 AIrcross) used in some other vehicles with active cruise control and distance control.

The rear bumper retail price from Citroen is £421-£519, for models with Blind spot monitoring and rear parking assistance, depending on the whether it has painted trim or not, these include VAT not fitting. Thought that might be useful so you have a comparison for a brand new bumper, for which the old sensors are just refitted - but no calibration required.
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

I went to the local Citroen main dealer and asked if there were any issues taking the parking sensor out.
They said that they take them out all of the time for repair work and unless there is physical damage to them then there should be no problems.

So it would appear that the body shop in question is just covering themselves in case of problems.

Juan, Thanks very much for your detailed advice - it is appreciated.

Cheers

John

20220426_104349.jpg

C3 Aircross 110BHP Petrol Manual
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Ok, so looking at the picture it's not too bad at all - the silver painted trim is available separately, for a mere £209 if you are keen on replacing it, but otherwise a bit of touch up paint might sort it and a bit of black polish on the bumper part should bring that back to life.