Stop/Start

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Well, a week old from new and guess what, the stop/start has packed up already, no surprise there. We had no trouble whatsoever with our C3 auto we have just changed, none of this crap of having to have so much charge in the battery before it will work. We have done 60 miles in it up to now so weather that would take enough out of the battery for it to fail i don't know but i am going to disable it each time we use it for now to save the "A" light flashing every time i stop. But on the bright side, at least it's allot more comfortable.
2022 Citroën C3 Aircross SUV
Shine Plus • PureTech 130 S&S Automatic in Khaki Grey.

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Mine stopped after a few times - had a replacement battery the second time it went in for not working.

There are other factors - not just battery that prevent it from working. These include the climate settings, the outside temperature, the battery charge of course as there is no ultra capacitor on most of the these models unlike other vehicles, plus the miles travelled from when it was last active and other parameters that will determine when it activates or not.

If you use the infotainment system without the engine running to listen to the radio for example - this will also factor into the battery charge. After the battery replacement on mine, it worked fine for a few trips then stopped working again. It now works about 20% of my trips and these are mostly when there is a warmer outside temperature and when there are few other electrical consumers being used like wireless charging / USB connections for example.

Don't forget that your vehicle may of been sitting for some time and this will also cause a slow battery drain. Generally if waiting on a car lot for a period of time, they are put into Park shunt mode which limits which vehicle systems are in operation to conserve battery power before it gets to the customer. They then are supposed to move the shunt back over to customer mode and charge the battery before delivery to the customer. Whether they did this or not is unknown, so I'd suggest not.

You may want to consider giving it an on-car trickle charge on a good dry day to to top it up.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

I had a C3 MK3 hatchback which had Stop/Start and it always worked.
However my C3 Aircross stops working but is inconsistent. Three days ago it stopped working. Not to worry I'll charge it with my battery charger but sadly after 55 years it has packed up. So I just drove the car to my destinations. I did a 10 mile trip but it still didn't work. Then yesterday afternoon after a short trip it started working and was still doing so today.
Certain parameters have to be met as Juan Sheet has said but I don't understand why one day it's fine, then the next it not working.
Last edited by Beanee687 on Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

We have to go back with it because there is a slight problem with the passenger front door, it just needs an adjustment so we will bring it to their attention and see what they come up with.
Iceman84

Post by Iceman84 »

Hi
I recently had a problem with the start stop not working on my 2020 C5 Aircross. After four visits to the dealership it turned out to be a start stop module being defective, not the battery needing a charge or parameters not being met or just accept it. You just have to be persistent and keep going back, I'm sure Citroen know but are reluctant to do anything about the problem after all you have paid your money so now it's your problem. I hope this helps
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

There's no such thing as a Stop Start 'module'! That's bluster.

It may be a component associated with the system, but there is no specific magical Stop Start ECU.

I suspect if your version has an ultracapacitor system fitted (as there are versions with and without these) it may be a component related to that.
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

I think something must be "Donald ducked" with my car as well.
It has graced me once in 2 years with the stop start working as it should and on another occasion it actually let me listen to the radio for a whole, I kid you not, 10 minutes.

If the battery is fully charged using a external charger, and the car is parked up with no usage, the battery volts read 12.4 volts.

So I think there is a good chance that the battery may be the cause but I am not sure if this is covered by warranty or not?
Plus I am not looking forward to the BS from the service reception telling me that it was caused by recent solar flares or the like and that I have to buy another battery that may or may not fix the problem!
C3 Aircross 110BHP Petrol Manual
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Mine was replaced under warranty. I believe it's 2 years for the battery warranty. Basically they had it in overnight (as they have to do a proper check on the battery by charging it up then leaving it to settle before measuring it. If it's within a certain percentage or not usually determines if it needs replacing.

When I picked mine up the next day, they said it was working. Stop Start worked twice on the way home then packed in again.

I took it back a month later telling them I didn't have time to bring it back again straight away, and that it had only worked twice since. They had it in again overnight and replaced the battery under warranty.

No hassle at all and I had a courtesy car as usual on both occasions.
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Mine is fine now, just going local is running battery down enough for it not to work, but after we have been on motorway it works ok. It's obvious that the battery has to have enough juice in it for the system to work. But as i have previously stated our previous c3 could just do local runs all week and the stop/start wouldn't be effected.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

The reason may be that some vehicles have an ultra capacitor fitted which charges up from the regenerative breaking and these can provide enough supply for the system to operate more frequently. Although some C3 Aircross models could of had this system fitted, it's more common for them to have dispensed with all the extra cost and rely on the main battery, which is why it operates far less frequently.

All about cost cutting I suspect.