Nav update performed

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

No one I know who performs map upgrades on their car, made by other companies, has to keep their engine running!
There may well be others that do but I do not know of them!

The battery in my car seems Ok but the auto stop/start does not work running around town but it DOES function a couple of times after I charge it up from a mains charger.
It goes into ECO mode within 10 minutes of being parked up. And yes the battery has been checked during a full moon with the chant "seems OK to me" by the service technician.
C3 Aircross 110BHP Petrol Manual

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

'Seems ok to me' won't cut it. The battery needs a proper test and if done properly, they will charge the battery, then leave it overnight to settler then check it with proper battery testing hardware in the morning to see what the charge level is. Usually anything under 90% or thereabouts means the battery needs replacing if you want Stop Start to work again - otherwise forget about it. Mine was changed recently under warranty and within a few months, Stop Start is not working again. SO I forget about it now.
nearlynew

Post by nearlynew »

Just bought 2022 C5 Aircross 1.5 Hdi 130 EA8 Shine and have to say the info system is probably the biggest piece of S**t I have ever come across. Updated screen via link provided on app but maps update just keeps failing. Any ideas how to move forward would be appreciated otherwise they may as well throw this car on the heap!!!
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

If its a 2022 then it is under warranty.
Watch the service receptionist squirm when you tell them about the problem :)

My "latest" experience from my garage is that map updates are performed when the car is serviced.
The My Citroen app has not advised me of any updates for a long, long while - but the app doesn't seem to do too much of a job anyway!

I DID get a ticket for driving down a road with a time restiction on it - the sat nav happily took me down it without any warning.

I have previosly managed to update the maps on my 2019 C3 Aircross and found -
1. The update was sensitive to the memory stick you use.
2. After the failed version they release another version that, sometimes, work. It may take a long time before they do.
3. On my car you had to keep the engine running for around 50 minutes while this was going on - not very green and costly.
4. In previous discussions other people have managed to load versions of the map that I couldn't on the same make and year of my car .
My conclusion is that that there may also be different versions of the info centre out there that may possibly cause issues.

I am sure you have already done this check and check again the version number and the size and type of memory stick you use, even if the stick you own worked when you performed the screen update.

AND DON'T beat yourself up if you cannot get it to work, after all - it really IS a piece of s**t
C3 Aircross 110BHP Petrol Manual
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

The garage is not responsible for map updates. If they have told you they will do it at servicing then just watch your invoice for additional time charged for this...
  • Map updates are released at "up to 4 times a year". In reality it's likely to be 1 or 2 if lucky.
  • The same Vehicle model can have different hardware versions of the NAC (Connected NAV), depending on build date and therefore the map AND firmware updates are different and not-compatible with different hardware versions (with the exception of Wave 3 and Wave 4 systems, where Wave 3 units are compatible with wave 4 units going forward from April 2022).
  • Agreed it is a pain to update with the engine running, but until we get 10G Wifi :!: over the Air updates and a super fast compatible WiFi and Head Unit in the car, there is a risk of bricking the unit if the car goes into economy / energy saving mode during an update.
  • As for road enforcement, it should warn you of speed cameras as long as they are in the database or as reported by other Tom Tom users. SPECS cameras (average speed) should be included too. However, you will need a separate subscription for this as it is in addition to the Real Time Traffic Subscription that is provided free for 3 years from new. So if you only have the free Real Time Traffic subscription, you won't have the full Radar package and therefore won't benefit from it.
nearlynew

Post by nearlynew »

@Juan do you want to explain thta Wave 3/4 in a bit more detail. How do I know if the Nav update is compatible. The app suggested 2 updates, Screen and Nav. The Screen update was fine but NAV no matter what I try just fails
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

@nearlynew: As newer models are released or often (but not always) when a facelift is performed on a model like the C3 Aircross in this case, they used a later version of the Connected NAV head unit and upgraded the touchscreen to a larger version. The newer unit (for the C3 AIrcross at least) provided another feature like voice commands for raising and lowering the temperature which was not available on the earlier system.

So these different generations of Head units generally have a different operating software system (firmware) than other units. So firmware and map updates for Wave 1, 2 & 3 hardware units are not compatible with each other. But Wave 3 and Wave 4 units are similar, so as a specific example, for NAC units (Touchscreen with Sat Nav) they made the Wave 3 compatible with Wave 4 Software from version 42.03.33.42_NAC-r0 that was released in June 2021. So there are no more Wave 3 updates - Wave 3 NAC systems now use the same Firmware and Map updates for the Wave 4 systems.

I shouldn't worry about it though, as your App will notify you when there is an update for your system. Having said that, as the Map updates can be quite large files as the latest Map update (version 13 from August 2022) for Wave 3 and 4 systems is about 18 Gb in size! So there will inevitably be issues with some downloads with files of this size, depending on the individual network speed and reliability of owner's Broadband / fibre speeds.

Also be aware that USB flash drives don't last forever, their NAND memory cells have a limited write cycle, so when the cells start reaching end of life, they can start to become unreliable.
ChrisnPat

Post by ChrisnPat »

Hi, new to the forum, we have a 22 plate Aircross, bought new in March last year. We too had problems with the TomTom services. I contacted Citroen via Facebook, they replied within a day. They gave me some instructions about deleting Profiles via the touchscreen, seemed to work for a week or so. Very frustrating not having the traffic updates etc , Contacted them again via the Facebook link, no reply . In the meantime I discovered that Peugeot owners are having a similar problem. .... However, a recent software/firmware update I've now installed via the Citroen app on my computer, via the USB port in the car, ...IT WORKS👍👍...every time. I have also installed the latest map updates. Everything working as it should do. The updates were added at the beginning of April 2023. Highly recommend you try them. Good luck🤞🤞
C3 Aircross Shine Plus. 22 plate. Cumulus Grey
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

The updates are not April 2023 - the map updates for the Wave 4 system (Version 14.0.0.r0) were released back in February 2023. You just haven't gotten round to updating them till now.

I appreciate you think your are letting people know about the update, but I'm just making it clear that it is not a new update to avoid confusion. ;)

Latest Updates for Wave 4 as of 11th April 2023 for the Connected Navigation System only:

Maps, Version 14.0.0.r0
Firmware: Version 44.06.44.22_NAC-r0, released December 2022
C5_Ax_11

Post by C5_Ax_11 »

Juan Sheet wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:31 am The updates are not April 2023 - the map updates for the Wave 4 system (Version 14.0.0.r0) were released back in February 2023. You just haven't gotten round to updating them till now.

I appreciate you think your are letting people know about the update, but I'm just making it clear that it is not a new update to avoid confusion. ;)

Latest Updates for Wave 4 as of 11th April 2023 for the Connected Navigation System only:

Maps, Version 14.0.0.r0
Firmware: Version 44.06.44.22_NAC-r0, released December 2022
Is there any explanations on what the firmware updates for the touchscreen do? There’s nothing in the process of doing it to tell you. Obviously the map updates are updated to roads, but what fixes, additions, remove do the firmware for the screen do? Be interested to know as they may add something that isn’t visible initially and no one knew was there.