Voice button on steering wheel

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
tgrosz

Post by tgrosz »

Hi,
I cannot use the voice button with my android phone on bluetooth (C3 aircross, redmi phone)
It works when phone is connected by usb - android auro runs, google assistant works.
When the phone is connected via BT only:
1. if AA runs (phone is in my pocket), then after pressing the button I get a message to unlock the phone to use voice commands
2. if AA runs, phone is unlocked in my hand (not the use case I want), then google assistant works, replies in car speakers
3. if AA does not run, then after pressing the button, the phone unlocks automatically, shows my question on phone screen - but the answer cannot be heard anywhere

Any idea how to make it work properly?

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

You can't use Android Auto without a USB connection - wireless Android Auto is not available on many cars at present and certainly not the C3 Aircross.

The only voice commands you can use with a bluetooth connected phone are for making and receiving calls and listening to or sending (pre-set) text messages.
tgrosz

Post by tgrosz »

Thanks Juan, but you are wrong. Google assistant works through the car mic - see my 2nd point. The problem is either the unlock in point 1 or the muted answer in point 3. Wireless AA would be good, now I need Assistant only.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No, I'm not wrong - you didn't ask about Google Assistant.

You asked about the voice button on Android with Bluetooth. Then in points 1-3 you throw in Android Auto (AA) which is entirely different and for which it clearly states in the manual that USB connection is required for AA.

Bluetooth only supports the following profiles on this vehicle with this Head Unit:

HFP - Hands Free Profile
OPP - Object Push Profile
PBAP - Phone Book Access Profile
A2DP - Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
AVRCP - Basically Remote Control for Bluetooth devices and typically used with the A2DP profile
MAP - Message Access Profile (for exchanging messages)
PAN - Personal Area Network (transport protocols)

I suspect you are using a combination of profiles to hear the voice output via the speakers, but the commands will need to be spoken directly via the phone (and then any voice output may be played back via the vehicle speakers).

But I've essentially spelled out the Bluetooth protocols that are supported and what Bluetooth functions are provided. For full AA functionality you need a USB cable to connect it.

It's the same for Apple CarPlay. Without this, I can use basic Bluetooth phone connectivity to make and receive calls and read messages, but for full integration I use CarPlay and the CarPlay Apps.

But if it's a Google Assistant Specific mode you may need to switch to Google Assistant Driving Mode. Make sure your device supports it and see the following link:

https://support.google.com/assistant/an ... 7503?hl=en
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Remembering that and carrying out actions whilst driving surely limits the average person, makes me wonder how much of new technology will be used.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
tgrosz

Post by tgrosz »

Thanks again, still the real life shows it different. I don’t mind if AA runs or not on the phone, but it changes how the voice system behaves. If it runs, then the problem is the unlock. To make it clear, car mic and car speakers are used in this case for both the error message if locked or the good answer if not. If AA does not run, then the problem is the muted response -again car mic is used.
tgrosz

Post by tgrosz »

And one more wrong use case: if I switch off screen lock completely, then (as expected from the previous examples) AA runs on phone and assistant accepts voice commands and answers through car mic and speaker.