C5 AIrcross Flair Plus - No Dashcam? Or is there.....

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Beanee687 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:35 pm Here is the rub. A dash cam is as far as I am concerned only used for providing evidence of an accident or other situation. So in that case 90 secs is long enough. The one in my C3 MK3 hatchback when I had it did this if you were brought to a sudden halt. As said it will download to a laptop quickly.
As for a spare my C3 Aircross Flair Auto 2020 came with a space saver, my C3 MK3 hatchback had the dreaded gunk spray. I bought a full size spare for it. This I transferred to my Aircross when I bought it. Both were 17in rims
It is true that you only need 90 seconds of fottage in the event of an accident. Unfortunately the camera on a C3 is not really a dashcam. I don't know whether an accident would prevent a clip from being overwritten, and the relatively short total time that is records before overwriting may cause the footage to be lost. But a dashcam isn't only about when you actually have a crash, it is also about near misses and winessing third party incidents. On a dashcam you can press a button to save, but the Citroen system cannot do this. Or alternatively yoy can remone the memory card, which again yo vannot do. You could, however, download to your phone.

I nearly has a crash in our C3 a few weeks ago. Here is the footage, taken from 2 separate successive clips. This video is taken from 2 successive clips with no editing. Note that the first part prior to the near crash is only 57 seconds long, the second is the full 2 minutes. So it looks like if I had actually hit the Fiesta it wouldn't be on video.

srperry

Post by srperry »

routemaster1 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:11 am
It is true that you only need 90 seconds of fottage in the event of an accident. Unfortunately the camera on a C3 is not really a dashcam. I don't know whether an accident would prevent a clip from being overwritten, and the relatively short total time that is records before overwriting may cause the footage to be lost. But a dashcam isn't only about when you actually have a crash, it is also about near misses and winessing third party incidents. On a dashcam you can press a button to save, but the Citroen system cannot do this. Or alternatively yoy can remone the memory card, which again yo vannot do. You could, however, download to your phone.

I nearly has a crash in our C3 a few weeks ago. Here is the footage, taken from 2 separate successive clips. This video is taken from 2 successive clips with no editing. Note that the first part prior to the near crash is only 57 seconds long, the second is the full 2 minutes. So it looks like if I had actually hit the Fiesta it wouldn't be on video.
On my C5 Aircross you can definitely press a button to save a clip. Also, in the event of a sudden stop or collision, the clip of that moment is automatically saved as a 'cannot be overwritten' file. It even happens if you get a 'brake!' warning on the dash, for example if someone steps of the pavement into your path without looking.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience