Keyless Theft

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Npr1980

Post by Npr1980 »

Was shocked the other night to discover how easy keyless theft of the C5 aircross is.... captured on cctv and took them 5 seconds to open the front door using a signal amplifier and it was only pure luck that I interrupted them before they had the car away....

Seems crazy that this kind of vulnerability isn't being addressed more robustly by Citroen and some of the other manufacturers.

A cynical part of me wonders how much Citroen revenue comes from replacing stolen vehicles, parts and repairs caused by keyless theft each year.

srperry

Post by srperry »

Not being funny, but haven't you heard about this before and taken proper precautions? It's the same problem for any keyless ignition/entry vehicle. The owner/keeper needs to keep the key safely, in a special pouch or a metal box, and not next to the front door where the car is. Then the thieves signal amplifier will be of no use. Keyless car owners need to take precautions. The other option is to buy a car without keyless entry/ignition. My C5 is a Flair edition; I chose that over the Flair Plus because I can't see the point of a sunroof when you have climate control, and I didn't want keyless entry/ignition - because unless measures are taken they are very easy to steal.

Being an extremist, I also think that anyone caught in possession of, or advertising for sale, signal amplifiers such as the one you mentioned should have a hand cut off each time they get caught! :)
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Yes I considered the theft aspect when I bought but the purchase of a Faraday pouch and keys out in that out my mind at ease. The insurance company didn't seem preturbed.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
BusybeasC5A

Post by BusybeasC5A »

Me too, but I did homework after seeing the keyless horror stories.

I was sceptical over the effectiveness of a key pouch.. However in my test they really do work !
An RDF pouch effectively blocks the signal /frequency totally, 100%

I tested with key in pouch... none of the keyless door or boot sensors worked with it in my pocket, within the pouch.
Take keys out... and instantly.. can unlock the car ...

I paid around a fiver for two pouches... our keys are always inside a pouch when we are not in car...

Though I agree, daft UK law doesn't crack down on the signal amplifiers available... they are only used for theft !
NOW 2023 C4X Shine 130 1.2 Petrol EAT8 in Perla Nera Black
WAS 2021 C4 Shine Plus 130 HDI BLUE EAT 8 in Elixir Red
WAS 2020 C5 Aircross 130HDi BLUE EAT 8 Flair Plus in Platinum Grey
WAS 2016 DS4 EAT6 Blue Hdi
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

It’s not UK law that’s daft, it’s the bloody stupid manufacturers making such an entry system. What was wrong with a key fob with a rolling code? Have we become that helpless that we cannot push a button.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

No but the must haves that they put on cars are starting to become mind stretching for them to think up.
When owned my first car a 1954 Ford Anglia 100E that I bought in 1963, it didn't even have a heater. That was an optional extra and was in reality an electric fan heater.
My son has a BMW that he can start from his phone so it's warm when he gets in it. Many cars shut the windows if open when you lock the car (that's even on a 2012 Skoda.) And so on. So what's next, ah yes autominous cars that take your robotic look alike to the meeting while you laze at home. Oh no that's Zoom.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Autoexpress tests suggest a Defender pouch worked well £6.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Just remember to periodically check these faraday pouches as they don't last forever and are subject to failure! I once inadvertently opened my doors and drove off with the keys inside the pouch, so not sure how long this had been faulty!
C3 Aircross Flair 130BHP manual - Breathing Blue
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Received "defender" pouch today looks ok but thought it would be pocket size instead it's big enough to take my mobile phone. OK for when in house but no good for trouser pocket.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Yes that's the problem the size. Could put it in your man bag. 😂🤣😅😆😁