Collision Warning Light Problem

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
fatters

Post by fatters »

Hello, new poster here, I have an 18 plate Aircross bought about 5 months ago.
Very pleased with the car, it is a 110 hp Flair in white and has been a great drive.
I had noticed that the Collision Warning light occasionally was illuminated for a short period of time.
This was highlighted a month ago when the vehicke went for it's first MOT and the tester issued
an 'advisory' as it was illuminated on the test.

As it was close to the end of the warranty I booked the vehicle into my local Citroen dealer.
The technician told me that the issue was with the forward facing camera getting fogged up.
He said that the official resolution to this is to put the heater on full for 15 minutes directed to the screen
every few weeks.
He said that it is worse in the winter/cold days.
I drove for 15 mins at 70 mph and nearly fainted !
He also said that this was a common fault with Peugeot vehicles which use the same camera.
My question is - anyone else experience this and what are your thoughts ?
Cheers, Iain.

Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Well that's a new one on me. My C3 Aircross occasionally gives the warning but not always the light. I found that this is if I brake hard and the front end dips towards the ground.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
paulstole

Post by paulstole »

Yes have C3 2018 only done 12000 miles, computer on board collision detection risk system fault, and light on dash, went to an electrical dealer £70, said camera malfunction about 1000 to replace and fix, just wrote to citroen and complained, about it,
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

There are about 4 different ARTIV cameras, depending on option, but for right hand drive, with emergency collision detection and auto lights, the camera alone is £827 inc. VAT for the part alone. The calibration and coding is then required on top of this, so your garage is about right.
paulstole

Post by paulstole »

Hi got in touch with citroen they will pay half the bill, but not really happy about the problem, it seems it is quite q common problem, I was hoping they would pay for everything, would love to know how you get at the camera
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It's a central roof console off job and the trim for the windscreen interior mirror shell, but I wouldn't touch it if I were you as it has to be calibrated once removed and installed or it won't work properly. Some of the trim there is a bit flimsy and some of the wiring to the independent telematic unit is very thin so connector is easily broken... Best left to the dealer to sort out.
SMITHY958

Post by SMITHY958 »

Not sure if this the right post to ask this, but at what distance should the C5 start braking for you? I have tried the near, normal and far settings and I have not managed to get the car to stop for me. The amber collision appears and occasionally the red brake warning comes on but I have to drive very very close to car in front of me (much to their annoyance). The video shows it to brake considerably earlier than mine does. Does the system need calibrating or is this normal?
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

There are 2 possible systems that can be fitted. Camera only or Camera and Radar. But both are only designed to apply emergency braking depending on driver input, vehicle speed and of course distance. Vehicles fitted with both systems will work at a greater vehicle speeds than the camera only version.

The emergency collision system it is not intended to undertake the normal braking function for you. Only when the system calculates that there is a likelihood of an impact based on the speed being travelled and the absence braking. So if you have your foot on the brake and applying slight pressure or even touching the brake pedal, the system will won't really react until there is imminent danger of a collision - by giving the warnings out. But remember that the system is not guaranteed to stop the vehicle and avoid an impact - it may, depending on all the factors involved, simply lessen the outcome of any impact. It should state this in the manual, so you should just think of it as a backup and never rely on it.
DACS

Post by DACS »

SMITHY958 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:44 pm Not sure if this the right post to ask this, but at what distance should the C5 start braking for you? I have tried the near, normal and far settings and I have not managed to get the car to stop for me. The amber collision appears and occasionally the red brake warning comes on but I have to drive very very close to car in front of me (much to their annoyance). The video shows it to brake considerably earlier than mine does. Does the system need calibrating or is this normal?
The Close, Normal and Distant settings are used to set the distance from any vehicle in front for the Adaptive Cruise Control, not the Collision Risk Alert or Active Safety Brake. If you are using the Adaptive Cruise Control then it will maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front and will stop the car if necessary. You certainly should not rely on the Active Safety Brake in normal driving, it is strictly for emergencies.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

That's not actually the case DACS.

The Active Safety Brake with Collision Risk Alert and Intelligent emergency braking assistance system DOES have the settings '"Far", "Normal" or "Close"..

You are referring to the 'adaptive cruise control' which although uses the camera / radar is another function.

Refer to your manual pages 133 for active safety braking and page 126 for adaptive cruise control.

I have the same settings for my C3 Aircross which has the Active Safety Braking / Collision Alert System, but not the Active cruise control.