start/stop not working

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Didn't have a problem with my C3 MK3 hatchback that was fitted with stop start.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars

BusybeasC5A

Post by BusybeasC5A »

Nor my C4, nor DS4, nor VW Caddy van I used to drive for work... ;)

Just as on the C5 Aircross, it works when conditions / parameters allow, doesn't when they don't.
Never bothered me to be honest..
NOW 2023 C4X Shine 130 1.2 Petrol EAT8 in Perla Nera Black
WAS 2021 C4 Shine Plus 130 HDI BLUE EAT 8 in Elixir Red
WAS 2020 C5 Aircross 130HDi BLUE EAT 8 Flair Plus in Platinum Grey
WAS 2016 DS4 EAT6 Blue Hdi
Flakon

Post by Flakon »

Hi I've got issue with my stop start too. It's working however when car needs to start sometimes makes noise similar to when car is running and you trying to start car again (not sure how to describe this property) and then it's starts and drives. It's happened now 3 times in 2 weeks, had car for only 3 weeks. Any advice why this would happen or shell I just go to citroen garage
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Possible that the starter pinion is worn. These days starters are pre-engage, so the the drive pinion is engaged in the starter ring before the motor turns. If you have a damaged gear or starter ring then possible noise from that.
Flakon

Post by Flakon »

Will call citroen tomorrow to book inspection
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

For information. I don't know whether all versions of the C3 and C5 Aircross use a stop/start system where the starter motor for restarts the engine. The system on the 2.0 HDi C4 Picasso uses a starter/alternator, and it is possible that some engine options actually use the starter motor. Certainly our 110bhp petrol C3 sounds as though the starter motor does the restart, but I'm not absolutely sure.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

My understanding is that early forms of stop start used a combined starter alternator but these days it's a more robust stater motor.
I found this article in the web.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... r-s-engine
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Either way, stop start shags your starter. My chum had the combined starter/alternator on his C4, £900 when it failed!
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Hiboost wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:09 pm Either way, stop start shags your starter. My chum had the combined starter/alternator on his C4, £900 when it failed!
As did mine. Mine was a warranty job though. Another excellent reason to maintain a Citroen warranty if you can. I must say that I don't really understand the logic of having two different starting system on one engine. The article above may shed some light on it, but as yet I haven't had the opportunity to read it.
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

I agree with everything in the article re lubrication, however it doesn’t emphasise all the extra electrical circuitry and sensors/ecu’s required to make it function.
Every extra component is an additional level of complexity and another opportunity for failure.
A similar “improvement” is Electric power steering, the original hydraulic systems, steering rack, reservoir/pump, all driven by a belt were cheap and easy to maintain.
Not so the electric system fitted these days, my power steering failed in Spain 2 years ago, just under €1k to replace, roughly the same price here, comes as a non serviceable unit.
This system of course allows self parking, lane assist etc etc more innovations.
Progress?