USB Connection

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
ajcampos

Post by ajcampos »

Well, I'm a fan of new technologies but driving a car is not the same as being seated in front of a PC or with a smartphone on a sofa. The main attention when you drive should be on the road, so that's why I prefer to use a pen drive with the music I want, or simply listen to radio stations.

Today, with the car parked in front of my house, I tried to use Android Auto. First, it required a different (better) cable than the one I had to charge the phone (I couldn't find a way to use the app via Bluetooth, although BT is working and the phone connected). Then, it took a lot of attention, which is incompatible with driving the car. I prefer not to use it while driving, rather than crashing the car.

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

ajcampos wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:05 pm Well, I'm a fan of new technologies but driving a car is not the same as being seated in front of a PC or with a smartphone on a sofa. The main attention when you drive should be on the road, so that's why I prefer to use a pen drive with the music I want, or simply listen to radio stations.

Today, with the car parked in front of my house, I tried to use Android Auto. First, it required a different (better) cable than the one I had to charge the phone (I couldn't find a way to use the app via Bluetooth, although BT is working and the phone connected). Then, it took a lot of attention, which is incompatible with driving the car. I prefer not to use it while driving, rather than crashing the car.
There are two conditions that need to be satisfied before Android Auto will work wirelessly. First, the car needs to be capable of supporting it (not the same as being able to pair for hands-free phone calls) and the phone you have needs to support it as well. I have seen reference on so me site for a list of phones which support it, you could try googling.

Edit. List of compatible phones

Wireless Android Auto is supported on any phone running Android 11 or newer with 5GHz Wi-Fi built-in. The following phones support wireless Android Auto running Android 10 or newer:

Google:
Pixel/XL
Pixel2/2 XL
Pixel 3/3 XL
Pixel 4/4 XL
Nexus 5X
Nexus 6P
Samsung:
Galaxy S8/S8+
Galaxy S9/S9+
Galaxy S10/S10+
Galaxy Note 8
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy Note 10

The same source lists cars compatible with Android Auto, but it does not specify whether this is wired or wireless.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

It's stated that android auto will work on android 6 and above, and wirelessly on android 11, my
3 year old Xiaomi mi a2 lite runs on 10 so I use a cable. I can select artist or album and scroll up/down on screen without having to use up/down icons.
I do not play music much in car I just set it it up to see it working, I will try buttons on steering wheel I assume they will also work.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
ajcampos

Post by ajcampos »

routemaster1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:33 am
ajcampos wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:05 pm Well, I'm a fan of new technologies but driving a car is not the same as being seated in front of a PC or with a smartphone on a sofa. The main attention when you drive should be on the road, so that's why I prefer to use a pen drive with the music I want, or simply listen to radio stations.

There are two conditions that need to be satisfied before Android Auto will work wirelessly. First, the car needs to be capable of supporting it (not the same as being able to pair for hands-free phone calls) and the phone you have needs to support it as well. I have seen reference on so me site for a list of phones which support it, you could try googling.

Edit. List of compatible phones

Wireless Android Auto is supported on any phone running Android 11 or newer with 5GHz Wi-Fi built-in. The following phones support wireless Android Auto running Android 10 or newer:

Google:
Pixel/XL
Pixel2/2 XL
Pixel 3/3 XL
Pixel 4/4 XL
Nexus 5X
Nexus 6P
Samsung:
Galaxy S8/S8+
Galaxy S9/S9+
Galaxy S10/S10+
Galaxy Note 8
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy Note 10

The same source lists cars compatible with Android Auto, but it does not specify whether this is wired or wireless.
I have a OnePlus 8 Pro, with Android 11. So, no problem here, I guess. About the car, I have some doubts, but meanwhile, I just found this info...

https://www.lifewire.com/android-auto-wireless-4176354

I'll try it, since the car have Wi-Fi functionality, just need to check how it works.
ajcampos

Post by ajcampos »

Anyway, my problem is not Android Auto, but the C5 display software, that seems to be not very good. Another example of this "bad" software is the radio stations display... in the first line I see the radio station name, in the second line I see the frequency (left) and the information that the station broadcast (text, music playing, etc.). This last information can be long but the space available to show it is short, so this text usually scroll from right to left. As far as I know, the name of the station is limited to 8 characters, so why not put the frequency on that first line (there's plenty of space for it) freeing more space for the second line?
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

I am amazed at all the problems people have, I just plug in my 64gb usb stick, leave the audio set to shuffle all and it plays, I don’t need to see what’s playing, if I don’t like the track the RH thumb wheel on the steering moves things on.
ajcampos

Post by ajcampos »

Hiboost wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:07 pm I am amazed at all the problems people have, I just plug in my 64gb usb stick, leave the audio set to shuffle all and it plays, I don’t need to see what’s playing, if I don’t like the track the RH thumb wheel on the steering moves things on.
Great for you. But sometimes (many) I like to know what's playing, and who's playing can I? :roll:
Unfortunately my memory is not what it was...
martyness

Post by martyness »

I also don't understand how people find android auto too distracting.

I literally get in the car, connect my phone via usb (don't think you can use android auto wireless on the C5 aircross as the touchscreen will require a software update) launch android auto then put my Spotify playlist on. Don't need to touch or look at it again.
C5 aircross flair plus platinum grey metallic with red inserts
ajcampos

Post by ajcampos »

martyness wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:42 pm I also don't understand how people find android auto too distracting.

I literally get in the car, connect my phone via usb (don't think you can use android auto wireless on the C5 aircross as the touchscreen will require a software update) launch android auto then put my Spotify playlist on. Don't need to touch or look at it again.
OK, if doing only that, no distracting. However, if one is fan of devices, he may be tented to use some other function. I have no doubt about one thing... if you just want to listen some music, then the better thing is to use a pen drive, or listen to radio. Unless you travel with another person in the front, that would be great for him or she.
martyness

Post by martyness »

I'm going to be honest here and say you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

There are a number of different ways that you can play music through the touchscreen. All of them need minimal attention and minimal use to do other functions such as climate control, navigation, etc.

There's no need to be constantly looking at or messing around with the touchscreen while driving.
C5 aircross flair plus platinum grey metallic with red inserts