Grip control switches

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
poppypicanto

Post by poppypicanto »

So I've always been a bit of a crazy sod when it comes to cars :lol: ....on my previous car I had all sorts of trim bits arriving from Germany.

Anyway...I don't like the fact that I don't have grip control switches and instead I've got this blank 70s looking trim bit ( a space I use to put glasses ).

I'm not actually bothered about grip control as such, but I just prefer the cosmetic look of the switches. After all...I sit in the car for hours.

Anyway....the blank spacing bit is just a pushed on cover. And I've managed to order the grip control switches off an Italian chap. Dont ask :lol: ...but it mirrors identically for the clips to hold it in place.

I'll come back with photos later on ( once it arrives) The before and after photos.

I know the 'blank' comes off...as I yanked it off yesterday easily enough.

obviously in the many years to come when I sell the car ill swap them over again... so potential buyers doesn't automatically think I've got grip control :o ( when I don't)

Why not......lock down does crazy things to a man.

I just hope the switches are packaged up well, so no trim cracks or damage in transit.

Watch this space....... :arrow:

Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

Just don't expect it to do anything! :lol:

Couldn't you of put a decent air freshener, flexible map light, phone holder or other gadget there instead of a dummy switch bank?
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

For once I am speechless...
C5AX

Post by C5AX »

I’ve opted for the grip control.
Good job my wife hadn’t read your post poppy, or the grip control wouldn’t have been on the order sheet.
She could have saved ££££s 😂
C5 Aircross 1.5 BlueHDI Shine Plus EAT8 - Soon!!
schmoo2k

Post by schmoo2k »

Ok I will bite - can someone post a link to some photos as I have no idea what this is...
2020 C5 Aircross - 1.5 BLUEHDI 130 S&S EAT8
Deleted User 830

This is what we are talking about:

The control dial for the Grip Control System, which allows the driving wheels to spin individually according to the road conditions and the setting selected. This allows the wheel with the most traction to maintain a good grip whilst allowing the other wheel to spin to gain traction.

Modes are standard, Snow, All Terrain (Mud, Damp Grass etc.) and Sand, with an additional button to the right for Descent Control. This is great if going downhill in forward or reverse gears and maintains the vehicle at a safe speed. It works autonomously when activated, without you having to use the brake or accelerator. Really useful on hills with snow and ice.
Grip.PNG
Our friend here wants it to look like he has this option so it fitting the switch block module - but it won't actually work.
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

“ This allows the wheel with the most traction to maintain a good grip whilst allowing the other wheel to spin to gain traction.”

No it doesn’t.....

The problem is that what you said was incorrect, it does the exact opposite by braking the spinning wheel, and shifting traction to the non spinning wheel.

Unless of course your particular vehicle is equipped with a differential that is yet to be developed....

I like Michelin tyres BTW, but they they are not much good spinning uselessly.
Last edited by Hiboost on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 830

Yes it does - depending on what programme is selected, determines the level of wheel spin allowed - for example in the sand, it allows both wheels to spin a little to prevent getting stuck. I’ve used mine very successfully in the snow here.

Some examples:

“The system works with the vehicle's ESP (Electronic Stability Programme) to maintain the best possible traction from both front wheels. It has five selectable operating modes which can be chosen by the driver from a dedicated control mounted on the centre console.

In Standard mode, the vehicle's ESP system is calibrated for typical grip levels found on normal road surfaces, where there are low levels of wheel slip.

Snow mode adapts the system to gain the best traction from each of the front wheels when the car is pulling away. As the car increases speed, the system constantly tweaks the traction control to maintain acceleration in the face of variable grip conditions. The system returns to Standard once you are over 31 mph.

All-terrain mode copes with mud, dirt tracks and wet grass by allowing a high level of slip on the least stable wheel when pulling away to remove excess mud and improve grip. At the same time, the wheel with the strongest grip level is given as much torque as possible. As the system is electronically controlled the torque offset between the front wheels can be as much as 100 %, well beyond normal limits for a limited slip differential. As the car gains speed, the system continually optimises wheel slip to give the driver the best possible control over the vehicle up to 50 mph.”

Sand mode allows slight wheel slip on both drive wheels simultaneously, to allow the vehicle to make headway and reduce the risk of getting stuck in the sand. Here again, the control provided by this mode is superior to that of a limited slip differential (LSD). In this mode, Standard mode kicks in automatically above a speed of 75 mph.
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Traction control and stability control are a spin off from ABS, anti lock braking, a system wherein a toothed disc on each wheel passes in front of a sensor, in the case of ABS the sensor detects when the wheel rotational speed stops and reduces the brake pressure to the calliper on that wheel, preventing it form locking and skidding.
Traction control works in reverse, it detects which wheel is SPINNING and brakes that wheel allowing the differential to send more drive to the wheel that has traction, the non spinning wheel.
I note in a previous post that your career has been in IT, made obvious by your excellent graphics posts.
My career has been in the automotive industry, building the finest car in the world, for 30 years.
Deleted User 830

I'm perfectly aware of the differences between ABS and ESP / ASR systems thanks

My point is that the system here in relation to grip control on the front wheels allows engine torque or applies braking to the driving wheels to allow limited slipping or reduce slipping according to the programme selected. It does this in line with all the components of the ESP system to achieve this, whilst ensuring the desired vehicle trajectory is maintained within the laws of physics. That is inline with what I already stated, so I don't see what the problem is. ;)

I should also like to add, that it is recommended that all season tyres are fitted for effective use of the system. At one point PSA fitted all season tyres to new vehicles with this system, but that seems to have gone out the window. I do know that some owners raised this with Citroen and had them replaced FOC.

Summer tyres like the Bridgestone Turanza that seem to be fitted as standard can be ineffective due to the large circumferential grooves which provide limited 'clawing' ability in ice, snow, mud and sand conditions. The Michelin Crossclimate / 2 are great tyres, having used them on several previous cars:

A recent review and good explanation of the tyre technology: