water leak again

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
kempf

Post by kempf »

Hello,

I have just discovered that the water reservoir from the radiator in my C5 Aircross (1.2 pure) is empty again. This happened before and the car had a new hose fitted only 3 weeks ago at the dealer, under warranty. It was a hassle since they couldn't get the part initially and I wasn't allowed to drive it.

Has anyone else had this problem and know what the issue could be since its probably not the hose? I'm really disappointed and as you can probably tell, I don't know much about cars so I'm a lamb to the slaughter at the Dealers.

Thank you!

Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Are you sure it’s not the head gasket? Is there definite evidence of a leaking hose? Could you put a sheet of cardboard under the car to spot any drips?
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

What year is this car. If less than 3 years it's under warranty.
The expansion tank has a pressure cap on it. This increases the boiling point of the system. As the system warms up the coolant expands into the header tank. The normal level when cold is ½ way up the tank. If over fiilled when cold then the cap will blow and fluid will be lost when the engine warms up. When it then becomes cold the contents left in the tank will be taken back into the engine/rad. So when cold fill to ½ way and put cap on tight. Now go for a run and then on return look at tank, where is the level. It should be above the ½ way mark. If further up then possible cap is duff.
It's possible that the head gasket has gone and engine is taking the water into the cylinders. That's why I asked age.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Bubbling in the header tank (when it has water in) is an indication of a duff head gasket.
kempf

Post by kempf »

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

Okay, so this is very helpful. Its a 2019 plate which I bought in May with only 56miles on it.

There are no drips on the drive but I'll put cardboard under to see if it is dripping from anywhere today.

What is the header tank, is that what I am calling the reservoir bottle?

Its going back in on Monday. They've said I can drive it as long as I keep the water topped up. I will ask them if it is possibly a head gasket issue once I ensure its not leaking.

Thank you!
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Yep same thing, LH side of the engine bay
kempf

Post by kempf »

Ok, so there was no bubblingin the bottle after I drove it on the motorway but the water is already down 1 inch from yest. It's wet here so difficult to see where its leaking from at mo.

Thanks sooo much everyone!
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Get it back into the dealer.
Not steaming up inside the car?
kempf

Post by kempf »

No. No steam in the car. No warning light or overheating light either.

It's booked in for Monday so I'll come back on to let you know what it is.

At least I feel I can chat to them about it now.

Thanks
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Hope it goes well