First service and warranty jobs.

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Took my C3 Aircross Flair Auto in on Wednesday morning for first service. Yes one year old and therefore needed service only done 3340 miles.
I also provided photos of the items that I thought need attention. First the RPM needle rubs on the dial. Passenger front door speaker has gasket displaced. They told me there was a software update. Wednesday afternoon phone call sorry we need to keep car till maybe Friday afternoon. Not a real problem as lockdown, phone call today it can be picked up at 5pm. So I go down there and find car ready but will have to go back next week.
Service done.
Speaker removed and reassembled.
Instrument cluster removed , photographed, Part number and serial number taken. Apparently there are several versions and I have head up display. All that sent to Citroen who agreed to warranty change of complete cluster. Next week, loan car promised.
The software update was a recall not a DIY task like touchscreen and Nav map.it is listed as HFF BSI software. That has been done. Receptionist didn't know what it affected.
Anyway car to go back, await call next week.
Any of you had HFF BSI recall notification?

IMG_20210118_123852876.jpg

IMG_20210118_123807564.jpg

Last edited by Beanee687 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars

Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

Thanks for letting us know on what to watch out for.

The After Sales Campaigns are coded - so that will be an internal code for some work, but likely a BSI software update.

I've just had mine serviced (first one) 1.5 Blue HDi and that needed an Engine ECU update - probably for the Adblue system.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

One thing on the bill was the cost of the 3.5 litres of oil, £62. Then I did a search on the net and found the oil they had used and yes it's that price.
When first did my own car maint on mini's, Duckhams 20/50 was £5 for 5 litres.
Deleted User 830

The specifications are all important with today's engines. although the grades are common enough, it's the specifications that make a difference and why it costs more.

Our 1.5 Diesel DV5RD (YHY engine code) engine can only take 0W20 (B71 2010) or 0W30 (B71 2312) grades - but has to meet the PSA specifications (in brackets) which is the key.

Our other C3 1.6 HDi DV6ATED4 (9HX engine code) can't take 0W20 grade, but can take grades the Aircross can't (5W30 (B71 2290), 5W40 (B71 2296) & 10W40 (B71 2300) depending on country climate.

For the petrol owners again the specifications are all different and make a big difference. 1.2 Puretech owners also need to watch their timing belt changes. Most models have the dodgy timing belts which are the 'Belt in Oil' design. They can shed shavings and block up the filter. It's why they specify a belt change at 62k miles or 6 years, at which point they replace the belts with the newer designs and then the change is every 120k miles or 12 years as is more normal.

I think it's their way of avoiding a recall and paying for replacements - just shorten the belt service interval.... It has cost them in replacement engines in some cases due to oil starvation. What a massive oversight on the design of the belts.....

Here's an example of one of these belts that have broken up on a 1.2 Puretech:

It's one of the main reasons that put me off getting a petrol, so stuck to the diesel (which also has it's share of Adblue problems of course) :roll:

Here's another video of a Berlingo 1.2. Here the guy caught the problem just in time, but like he says - use the wrong oil once and you've had it! So if you get any oil pressure warnings on a 1.2 puretech, don't hang about!

The translation for the video caption reads:
The Citroen Berlingo with 1.2 Puretech engine is 2 years and 3 months old with 49000 km the timing belt loosens on the oil bath. Engine damage preprogrammed. The display suddenly shows no oil pressure and the owners of Puretech engines don't even know what kind of ticking time bomb they are driving. In my opinion not state of the art. Wrong motor oil once and that's it.
russbif

Post by russbif »

Beanee687 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:45 am One thing on the bill was the cost of the 3.5 litres of oil, £62. Then I did a search on the net and found the oil they had used and yes it's that price.
When first did my own car maint on mini's, Duckhams 20/50 was £5 for 5 litres.
Mmmm, Duckhams, green goodness, I used to swear by it.

I used Total Quartz 10w/40 for the ten years I had my C3 Picasso 1.6 Hdi, I used to change the oil and filter every 6 months, irrespective of mileage. Very pricey in UK, but used to pick it up from Intermarche when driving through France, €21 for 5 litres. Since it won’t suit my 1.2 pure tech I used the last 5 litres in my MX5, it must think it’s Xmas after running on halfrauds finest.

The potential problem with our petrol engines is the inlet valves gumming up with carbon, GDI engines put the fuel direct into the cylinders so do not clean the valves, but the oily air from the EGR valve settles on the backs in the valves. One solution is to fit a catch tank to capture the fumes. I’m looking into it.
Last edited by russbif on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Very interesting to see the videos on oil issue and timing belt change, now I must state I worked in a Ford engine plant for 37 years the last few years building a similar ecoboost engine, I could see similarities in the design of the two. But in the ford engine (which looked similar in video) the timing belt is on the outside of the engine nowhere near oil, for bits of a timing belt to get into the oil system it would have to get past either the camshaft seals or the crankshaft bottom seal.
In the video which I obviously cannot understand because I do not speak German he shows a camshaft locking clamp tool and a pin to lock crank, exactly the same as ecoboost engine.
A colleague invented a simpler locking device that fitted outside between the camshaft sprockets which locked them to change belt without removing rocker cover, which made the belt change much simpler & quicker.
The ecoboost had thin oil fitted in factory to meet emmision and performance targets but on first service changed to, if I remember correctly 5-20w the oil needed to be thin also to operate the hydraulic tappets where a fine filter was installed to prevent clogging them up.
Having had a discussion with at one point in my career with a castrol rep he stated that it was always advisable to change oil in the autumn so that the engine had new oil when the engine suffered in the extreme cold of winter.
So how could timing belt debris end up in a pure tech oil system ? not knowing exact design I cannot answer but very worrying.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
Deleted User 830

Have a look at this video in English - it shows the operation:

Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Excellent thanks for sharing.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

The 1.6 ecoboost engine i was familiar with had a dry timing belt lasting 100,000 miles, for some reason some ecoboost and early puretech engines had vapour or oil bath lubricated timing belts.
Early puretech engines suffered debris in oil system, but I gather they have now changed timing belt material. ?
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
russbif

Post by russbif »

When reading service items the other day I noted that one was to “check width of timing belt”, now I know why.