Dash Cams

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
russbif

Post by russbif »

Well, 55 minutes from opening the box until switching on! Our cars are like Lego, just pop apart. Top tip? Remove the door seals, then you only have to use your spudger to feed the cables under the headlining at the top of the screen. A post pops off easily.
Would have been quicker, but it was a faff feeding the rear camera cable through the flexible sleeve between the tailgate and the body,two 90’s and corrugation.
GPS working too, so you can track tour journey, excellent app, I heartily recommend Road Angel. G force, braking and acceleration all recorded.
One minor glitch, the huge plastic housing in the middle of the screen masks part of the camera viewing area, so will have to move it, but my USB C hardwire kit isn’t available until the end of the month, so will sort it out then.

Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

Well done.

I think I've decided on the Garmin 56 now - but typically, Amazon are out of stock! It's just not meant to be - I'll ring Garmin tomorrow to check up on the UK Speed and Red Light Cameras that are supposed to include free updates for life in the UK - just to make sure they are! So that will be an added bonus.
the2ems

Post by the2ems »

russbif wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:08 pm Well, 55 minutes from opening the box until switching on! Our cars are like Lego, just pop apart. Top tip? Remove the door seals, then you only have to use your spudger to feed the cables under the headlining at the top of the screen. A post pops off easily.
Would have been quicker, but it was a faff feeding the rear camera cable through the flexible sleeve between the tailgate and the body,two 90’s and corrugation.
GPS working too, so you can track tour journey, excellent app, I heartily recommend Road Angel. G force, braking and acceleration all recorded.
One minor glitch, the huge plastic housing in the middle of the screen masks part of the camera viewing area, so will have to move it, but my USB C hardwire kit isn’t available until the end of the month, so will sort it out then.
Where have you fixed the rear camera please?
2019 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic
russbif

Post by russbif »

Inside the rear backlight, central, just low enough to be in the area cleared by the wiper.
Deleted User 830

@ russbif: So you didn't take the A Pillar Trim off then?
russbif

Post by russbif »

No, just pulled it back at the top to ease the cables under the headlining (especially the one going to the rear) helps when refitting it too. Door seal removal is key to one’s success.

The dashboard end panel just pulls off once the door seal is removed.

It also helps to make a small recess in the edge of the plastic cover just underneath the high mounted stop lamp, I just heated up a 5mm drill and melted it. Without this there is the risk of the hard plastic cutting into the rear camera cable over time.
Deleted User 830

I routed my rear camera on my previous car under the floor side trims through to the front passenger footwell and then up into the dash end panel to the fusebox.

I did this as I did not want any wires to interfere with the side airbag operation, with them going off in an emergency along the top side headlining - which if obstructed by the dash cam wiring, could act like cheesewire on a head or a body (sorry to sound gruesome). :shock:

Here's the side airbag in red, so you can check your wiring in relation to it: I would of thought that any wire above the red airbag components and pyrotechnics, as long as it was properly secured from falling down would be ok - but personally speaking, I'd avoid that area altogether.
C3AC Roof Airbag.PNG
So when I wire my front camera in, I'm also going to have to be careful to ensure there is no slack and that it is contained tightly from the headlining corner to where it meets the A Pillar top corner, then wire it into the channel that should be inside the trim, down to the bottom corner end of the A Pillar and into the dash panel, to the fusebox.
Deleted User 830

russbif wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:50 am No, just pulled it back at the top to ease the cables under the headlining (especially the one going to the rear) helps when refitting it too. Door seal removal is key to one’s success.

The dashboard end panel just pulls off once the door seal is removed.

It also helps to make a small recess in the edge of the plastic cover just underneath the high mounted stop lamp, I just heated up a 5mm drill and melted it. Without this there is the risk of the hard plastic cutting into the rear camera cable over time.
That's helpful to know, thanks. There are supposed to be 2 seal clips per door, but I guess you only needed to pull the top part away? Mine looks as tight as a crab's ar*e. Best place to start? Top corner and does it just pull off toward you or is there some contortionist position one has to assume to get it off?

I must remember to try and document mine with a few pics for a write up.

Decided on the Garmin 56 with built in GPS and voice commands (to quickly turn on / off recording , save video, save a picture etc.,) which should be useful instead of trying to remember which button to press.
russbif

Post by russbif »

I didn’t encounter any clips on the door seals, they are just a push fit, like every other car I’ve worked on. Very tight, but if you start in the corner it’s a bit easier.
The cable to the rear camera runs just on to of the door seals apart from where it passes over the top of the BC post trim panel.
Deleted User 830

Camera arriving next week as new stock arrives then on Amazon. Will be waiting for a dry day. Whilst I'm routing about in the fuse box, I'll hopefully be able to locate the diagnostic port too. it seems they've hidden that away out of sight too.